O'Sullivan's Beach Ramp Trailer theft?

Hey All,Went down the ramp last night and heard an interesting bit of news. Apparently some blokes boat trailer was knocked off out of the car park a week or so ago. :angry: Can anyone confirm it?If so, it would pay to take additional precautions in regards to securing your trailer. Of course, if the so-and-so's really want it, it won't matter what precautionary items have been employed but it may just deter them. It certainly won't make it easy for them though.

some peanut had gone around and loosened the wheel nuts on trailers.

what a :c As bad as bad as it may be, its one thing to pinch someones trailer, but loosening wheel nuts, potentially causing a boat trailer and attached car to lose control ? Why the :c would you do that :huh: there's no :c word strong enough for those :c :A good solid kick in the head wouldnt even start to cover it :laugh:

i've seen the coppers down there quite a lot. I think that they do laps throughout the night. From what I've seen the patrols can only be one a night (seen recently when fishing off the pontoon) to several times. But the trouble is they can't be there all the time. It would be of far more benefit to install CCTV Cameras. They could double as a surf cam and be monitored 24/7 if need be. But do you think the council will install cameras? No.I'm with you on the boot to the noggin AFF. Especially if something did happen. It just wouldn't come close. If the law actually caught em' the court system would say they're hard done by and had a hard child hood and let em go. Law abiding citizens just don't really stand a chance.

The chances of getting caught are basicaly zero..I have been parking at garden island ramp for 12 yrs now and been so lucky not to have something go wrong..Touch wood..

I gave up at the Graden Island ramp years ago. The car that we had was always left open as it was not worth stealing, it had weeds growing out of the rusted panels but dorks kept stuffing with the trailer, winch semi un bolted, must have been disturbed, bent the side boards so the boats wouldn't track onto the trailer, tyres punctured, plug cut, nothing really major but an inconvenience both in getting home and the repairs.Current club is the postal institute next door, for a small annual membership fee you at least get peace of mind when you get back to the ramp, may not be foolproof but a dam site better than next door

theres one copper that always is down there he must like it down there.. hell sit there in his car and talk to people that come by hes been doing this for this.. he is an older guy.. but ihave seen some weird thigs down hee.. drug deals stupid dumb stuff going on.. thats y at night ill park my car real close to where im fishing.. it would help if there lights consistently stay on during the night..

I'm with you on the boot to the noggin AFF.

Violence never really solves anything I think, BUT the point I make is I'd HATE anyone to pinch a trailer from me or anyone else, but hopefully, although inconvenient, at LEAST you're still safe.How about Mr "Innocent" who loads his boat, not knowing his trailers been mucked around with, goes to drive home, only to have a wheel come past him , and end up in someones windscreen or house window :huh::angry: Too many REALLY dangerous scenarios come to mind !

True. Violence is only ever about getting even and that never works!On the trailer tyres though ... I went down for a drive to the ramp yesterday (that is Sunday just gone) and when I left was following a bloke in a 4wd with a nice big fibreglass boat on a galvanised trailer. The whole time I was hearing this weird clunking noise. I thought it was the boat on the trailer. But it didn't sound right. Anyway as the dude was pulling up to the corner to turn off ramp road I noticed that the back wheel of the left hand tandem was tilting and wobbling. Pulled around him and told him. Don't know if it was bearings or something more sinister. Ever since that episode last year with the wheel nuts, I check mine all the time now.

with all the cash you boaties spend on ramp fees,rego etc you would think they could spend some of that cash on some kind of fenced of area to park your vehicles when fishing over night maybe with a couple of security cameras placed around the joint

I know someone that had their trailer stolen a few years ago. As a result I always put my hitch lock on when parking the trailer, take the winch handle off, and put the club lock on the car. A gas axe will make short work of it, but why would they bother when there is one bigger and better a couple of meters away with no protection.Have also heard of a guy that has had his hitch unclipped off the ball and rested back there to give the impression it is still connected. Apparently it has happened to him a number of times..... the hitch lock also stops this.There are always all sorts of weirdos down that joint. Nothing much you can do but protect it best you can and check it all when you get back.

• 1 year later...

Hi all i dont do a lot of night fishing due to the size of my boat but hope to maybe get out there when the weather comes better ,when i launch from the beach at secliff i use my hitch lock but when at sullies i have a couple mate this serves a dual purpose as you have probably seen them before firstly when reversing a car to a trailer it acts as a buffer and saves slamming into your bumper (look at gq patrols rear steps nearly always have a dent from misalignment)and also when turned the other way acts as a fair deterant for would be theives when locked ,yea i know what some will say that a decent set of bolt cutters will sort that out but it is just another tool these lowlife turdburglers have to carry seeing most good locks are hardened steel it makes it even more of an inconveniance for them apart from that it will also stop your trailer coming of your ball if your tow hitch for some reason craps itself ,for the scunmmy lowlifes that stole this blokes trailer i hope he catches up with you should put a dscription up of type and rego and what it looks like ,as for the council puttting in cctv dont hold your breath i dont think the horn cleat has been fixed up yet sad that the facilities revenue is not used for what it is intended crispycouplemate001.JPGcouplemate003.JPG

the weak link in the security chain there is your towbar tongue crispy, most are only held in by a pin which is secured by a cotter pin, take that out, slip off the tongue and the trailer is now disconnected from the car. one only has to attach the tongue to another car and off they go (the tongues are fairly universal). then they can work on the other stuff when they get home.I think the best thing you can do is get one of those wheel clamps. like this one http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Quick-Foldable-Anti-theft-Security-Wheel-Clamp-lock-Sydney-pick-up-welcomed-/130741061380?pt=AU_Boat_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e70c64704