What fish is this???

Guest Shark-Kat 6

Guest Shark-Kat 6

I'm pretty sure its a male Port river Goby,they are a distinct species endemic to the port.Its a bit hard to tell because i'm colour blind but the males have purple stripes and the females are basically browncheers brentonHi Brenton, it was clear / brown color with what looked to be blue stripes thru it.cheers

Not protected are they? Big bream love the small ones.Yet to intentionally use them as bait but on a few occasions have been catching a few of those ugly suckers only to have them smashed on the retrievePS Brenton I'm colour blind too, very. Do you find you spot fish heaps better than your lesser evolved fishing mates?

I think they are protected,and if not they should be.I know they are great bait for bream in fact the bloodworm wriggler is a pretty good Goby imitation especially on a lift and drop retrieve because that is the way Gobies behave.As for spotting fish yes it does have some advantages,i can also spot game better such as Roos but just don't ask me to pick your fruit.....i'll pick all the green ones. cheers brenton

Jimbojamesthere's used to be lots of that type in westlakes. Not sure whether there still as. Think possibly when they filled the lake with fresh water to kill that weed it might have killed the gobies as well.I do stand corrected on that though.

Got it! (I think ;) )I'm reasonably sure it's a Crested Oyster Goby (Cryptocentroides gobiodes)- see link below:http://australianmuseum.net.au/Crested-Oyster-Goby-Cryptocentroides-gobioides-Ogilby-1886(Be sure to view the pictures full size.)If this is what it is, then it's certainly a little way out of its usual range! (Still, there's a bloody Sun Fish down at the Port, so nothing surprises me...all sorts of weird s*it happening lately :blink: :blink: :blink: .)Cheersaf

Guest Shark-Kat 6
Got it! (I think ;) )I'm reasonably sure it's a Crested Oyster Goby (Cryptocentroides gobiodes)- see link below:http://australianmuseum.net.au/Crested-Oyster-Goby-Cryptocentroides-gobioides-Ogilby-1886(Be sure to view the pictures full size.)If this is what it is' date=' then it's certainly a little way out of its usual range! (Still, there's a bloody Sun Fish down at the Port, so nothing surprises me...all sorts of weird s*it happening lately :blink: :blink: :blink: .)Cheersaf[/quote'] Thanks Af!:clap: That looks exactly like the fish the wife caught!!:fishing: Cheers S.K.-6