thats ok just makes life easier lolaround a 7 foot medium action spin rod i bought a rovex er something (red blank might be air) its about a 6-12lbs rod, carbon with a nice easy action, v light weight so easy for lure casting was around 68 bucks from a lts suits upto 20g lures +-it has a diawa 2500 reel on it running 8lbs suffix camo line which i cant seem to find anymore (pity cause i really like it ) reel was around 90 bucks 200 for a basic bream/mullet / st set up of quality gear if you only plan a little fishing maybe one of the et kits from big w etc might suit under 100 and will do for a year or so ( but belive me quality is always better in the long run)other option is watch the sell/trade thread as some awesome kits come up often and most will be v well looked after the bounus is that you will pick up quality gear a a great price.hope this helps;)

for a basic kit just remember that unless looked after very well it will break down seriously if you have 69 bucks keep saving up as a good second hand kit will give you alot more enjoyment than a starter kit ( and out last it by yonks too) ie good rod reel combo lasts 6 years if well looked after (prob longer really) total cost 200cheap starter well looked after maybe 2 years cost 70 bucks every 2 years total 210 over 6 years and dosent perform v well ie slugish blank, heavy, poor casting, lots of cleaning/oiling.still weigh up the info and consider what best suits your needs

tutty i paid 30 dollars for this band new at k-mart ;)http://www.amazonoutdoors.com.au/Product/Fishing-Gear/Rods/Tsunami4/Tsunami-Odyssey-Travel-Series-, on this website its a bit expenisive but ive seen this in combos at ray and annes for 60 something dollars, its a really good rod for how much it is and i use it everywhere i go and its so much fun with any fish :P, especially salmon and bream ;). great little flick stick

I would go into nth haven tackle and Tucker and talk to Matt There is a perfect combo shimano raider with a symetre $250I'm sure he could do a good layby deal or offer something at a more suitable price.Otherwise the best budget rod I know of it the 7ft ET limited Shimano 2-4 kg spin rods... Good for soft plastics... Big W have em for around $50 ATM rod only or around $80 for one with like a seinna reel ;)My advice would be the $50 rod is good value, but hunt for a better reel or use one you already have :)

for a basic kit just remember that unless looked after very well it will break down seriously if you have 69 bucks keep saving up as a good second hand kit will give you alot more enjoyment than a starter kit ( and out last it by yonks too) ie good rod reel combo lasts 6 years if well looked after (prob longer really) total cost 200cheap starter well looked after maybe 2 years cost 70 bucks every 2 years total 210 over 6 years and dosent perform v well ie slugish blank' date=' heavy, poor casting, lots of cleaning/oiling.still weigh up the info and consider what best suits your needs[/quote']Great advice there FF :clap:

id wait and save up fella.. eitha that or wait for summant to pop up on here.. i paid $80 for an diawa tierra 7ft rd and a diawa excellor 2000 with a spare spool and both spooled up ready to go ;)

Agreed Southie.I picked up a 7 ft 2-4 kilo Catana Spin rod along with a matching 2500 reel and braid for 75 dollars awhile ago in the S and H For sale section :woohoo:

The shimano ET special 2-4kg 7ft rods are the ducks nuts if you're not looking at spending much. I'm saving up for a tcurve but keep finding other stuff to buy but this rod has not failed me yet!Could not rate it any higher, think i paid $60 (but someone has mentioned $50 at the moment) and have landed on top of a HEAP of other fish 5 snapper that were all around the 9kg mark! I think 7 times the rod was in an almost upright rod holder in the boat and bent over far enough to almost touch the water and somehow hasn't snapped....Nice and light so you can cast all day and has put up with what i consider a fair amount of abuse considering its priceIt is a unit! Considering its down to $50 i'm going to go out and buy another one spare ;)

where is this rod at ??

Big w mate.I reckon mine was $69 like 2 years ago lol so funny they call em a "limited edition"' and I'm pretty sure they are $50 now. They are pretty good mate. It's a rod that I disrespected early on... But now adays it gets a good clean and has a spot on the racks in the shed ;) The biggest test I've had on it would be a 50cm rugger (10lb braid with 20lb mono trace)And I landed a 45cm Salmon on it only last year ;) get a little 1500 to 2500 reel, 6lb braid and a bit of fluorocarbon or mono leader and you're apples (although the line might be more $$$ than the rod lol)The rod has caught me 8million Bream and 800 million ST's :blink: If you are in the market for the cheapest rod possible you can't go past one of these ;)

Keep your eye on the buy and:P sell section of this forum, some great gear comes up at bargain prices, picked up a reel with line which Ive disrespected mightily on many a good fish, given it a swim (thanks Mr percival) and its still going strong.Other wise those ET escape combos would be a good start but if you can fork out a bit more go a bit more up market for the reel at least.Quality gear pays for it's selfPS ease up Jack I'll give you the Bream tally but if you've caught more than 500 million ST's I'll drink your tuna oil