To bream or not to bream...

I have suddenly found myself with an excess $400...I was thinking of turning said money into a new bream rod. If anyone could suggest something nice, I havent really had a look at better quality gear before. I use a shimano catana 1-3kg and a sienna 2500 reel. cost about 90 bucks i think all up.If anyone thinks this $400 would be better spent on say lots of lures, please suggest away :P Oh and this is missus approved, believe it or not :woohoo:

If I had to spend $400 on any combo I would spend $100ish on the rod & the rest on the reel. The markup on rods is insane. Not only that you can snap a shimano t curve just as easily as you can a penn pinpoint & there ain't much difference between the 2 if matched with a nice reel. It is far easier to feel the difference in quality between a $100 reel & a $300 model. At least Daiwa or shimano will give you a 5 or 10 year warranty on most of their range.The key is getting a nice balanced outfit that will cast the ultra light bream jigheads & hardbodies ;) good luck & happy shopping :)

I'm with he others here....don't spend it all on a rod as you will kick yourself later unless you have the same in the other back pocket to match it with a reel of similar value.My first higher $$ reel was as Brenton mentioned the Daiwa Caldia Kix 2000 and it's still like brand new a few years later going strong. Casts a mile and silky smooth. I have upgraded but it's still my go to as back up or pure fresh. Then get yourself some top quality light weight braid (fins, suffix, sunline..etc)and a nice range of good quality lures. Chuck them all together with your catana and you will love it. In the mean time...save a few biccies here and there and keep your eye open on here for the good quality second hand rods that pop up for next to nothing. If something does'nt come up by the time you have saved yourself $150-200 then head down to your local and look into something new.A raiders only $100 odd bucks and a great rod...got 3 :)Either way..$400 CAN go a long way if you want it to. I'm waiting on an email from a club member wanting to sell a heap of Sp's for next to nothing, will be chucking them up once I get them. There is always some bargains around and don't be afraid to ask either...you may get someone offer you the deal of a life time!my2c...

Wow, that is one super deal.Ive got a Berkley Venom King Brown for chasing BIG REDS and boy is it a seriously nice stick.You couldnt of done any better than that deal from Protactic.You saved some big dollars and have a very high end outfit.Im sure you will enjoy your bream fishing now. Just remember that the combo is also a TROUT WEAPON as well. :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: