There's been tears around the house toady after my pet Yabby "Pinchy" died last night. Had him for around 8 months, didnt know you could get so attached to a pet yabby. Anyways I was wondering if anyone knows where I could Get my self another Blue Yabby or 2? I was lucky to catch this one at work but its been the only blue one.R.I.P Pinchy

IMAG0367.jpg

Guest Shark-Kat 6

Yabbies shed to grow and if you have them in a tank with blue stones they will change colour to suit the enviroment! Have been breeding them for years and had numerous blue ones! ;)

yeah snake try 250gms of salt and bring water to the boil for three mins, that might kill the water problem and may turn the yabs a bright shade of red........................ Sorry just joking ,Ikept a couple of large yabs for about 2 years and found i had to fit a larger filter,also it may be what u r feeding them ????????? cheers pellipeeli11

how cool!!!hope you dont mind if I ask a question on your topic but we have kept 4 yabbies we caught 3 months ago but the aquarium gets dirty quickly. It has aerator/filter but have to change water every 2 - 3 weeks' date=' is there something we can put in to help keep clean?thanx Andrew & sue[/quote']It could be your tanks simply too small for the number in there :unsure:

You can also try throwing in a few native freshwater mussels.Freshwater Mussels From AquablueThey act as natural water filters to get rid of suspended bacteria and algae in the water.Combined with some glass shrimp as suggested by dmac which will clean up and remaining solid food items they would keep your water quality in reasonable condition.

Yabbies shed to grow and if you have them in a tank with blue stones they will change colour to suit the enviroment! Have been breeding them for years and had numerous blue ones! ;)

Pinchy was of a variety caused by genetic mutation (inbreeding believed to be the cause), so their genetically electric blue even in dirty water, the strain originated from a few places but the main place was a large yabby farm in gippsland vic, I think your talking about turning yabbies dark blue as that happens with clean water over time, some dodgy farm operations dye their yabbies blue with food colouring if their kept in the solution long enough their stone will draw in the colouring and for the next couple of malts they remain blue but then change back to normal.(something to look out for when buying them)Because of the genetic blues weakened genetics they rarely grow as large as the full size Cherax Destructor (common yabby) 200g would be a big blueAt one stage I was operating a hatchery producing hundreds every week, they where exported into the aquarium trade in asia for $30 each, so most sellers in aus look overseas for the $$ rather than selling here.RIP Pinchycheers