okie dokie... i have a wilson 4120 10'8 OH rod and im looking for asuitable reel to throw out big chromies at Salmon this year...at the moment i have a 9ft angler stealth and saros 3000 that casts a mile... but i want to throw heavier lures like 80-100g to the bigger salmon over the eyre and salties etc... what do you guys think for the wilson??? was thinking aby 7000 or something similiar???

SouthieI can only speak for my ten year old Abu7000, nice enough reel to use, like the turn-handle-to-engage functionality - they may have gone to the lever-engage system though. An old workmate had one on his beach rod, said he was very happy with his rig.Things may have evolved, but mine I always thought had a rather "spindly" star wheel (or are you going for a lever drag model if they`re available in the range?). Anti-reverse on my old model could be a little better too (maybe that has changed), but hey, it`s not a Tekota!Also after a few trips the drag lost its smoothness, became "uneven". Washers replaced, all good, then a few trips later same thing (Yes, it does get a birthday post-trip!)Still catches 60-70cm snapper without too much drama though. ;) Maybe additionally have a look at and suck some people`s brains about a Penn 320...or if levelwind is not of great importance a baby TLD perhaps?A small Tekota would be a really nice piece of gear, but there will be a few more bucks involved!!

Yep, 7000 Southie. Had one for the last ten years on a 13ft Snyder Glas and never looked back! Casts a good weight a great distance, puts up with all the sh** i've thrown at it and it still goes hard. As someone said previously, easy to maintain, and when done regularly, it'll never let you down.

you're 110% correct on the Carbontex washers, Ale. Although I have never replaced the washers in my 7000, which the drag still works like it did when I got it out of the box for the first time, I have replaced them on my Abu 6500C3. The drag on this reel was either too loose or locked up. There was nothing in between. I ordered the Carbontex washers from the US, landed on my doorstep for 6 bucks. Fitted em' myself and now, It's just like a brand new reel.