Mangrove in the Onka.

Interesting Lexi. Too late to do much about it now though :pinch: :whistle: I'm a bit surprised that it was allowed to be cut down to start with, as with many councils are now becoming so much more environmentally aware :huh: :ohmy:Someone may know an answer to this, but being a brackish area, I would have thought that whole area would have been covered in mangroves in times past, unless its too far south for them to do well :unsure:

Is that the mangrove on the southern bank and just east of the big bend (jarrod rd bend) . And while we are talking about the rail extention i would like to point out that the yellow floating barriers are pinned in place below the highest of high tide mark also rendering them useless on these tides ? Any one also wondering about the car park near the sheep pillings , it will be opened again in August . Maybe if they are on schedule .

Hi all just seen this post now and the mangroves next to south rd bridge have also been cut down and was wondering y aswell even the small newer ones have been pulled out a real shame cause although they were small I used to get some cracking fish at hight tide off them shame real shameMatty89

i reported these mangroves to about 3 govt depts as well as the local council about 10years ago & no one was really interested, one of the fisheries people i spoke to said the seeds proberably drifted into the onka & some of them found the right conditions to grow & as it was not a significant growth of mangroves they had no interest in them.

Thanks Guys.I think Landcare/Trees for Life or some simular group are supposed to be doing some re-vegitation in the area, spoke to the guy removing Olives some time back. Hard to fathom why they cut both the mother trees. I notice the Aloes appear to have been poisoned also. Can't wait to see what they replace them with as the Banks are collapsing at a pretty rapid rate..

Have spoken to a number of knowledgeable people I know and apparently the NRM Board was approached about the mangroves 10 years ago and although they acknowledged their existence and that they are NOT endemic to the Onka River, they decided to leave them alone at that time.What I can't find out is why that attitude has changed?.I do know that a lot of samphire and native (but non endemic vegetation) has been removed for the 10 metre wide bridge maintenance track which runs through the old sewage settlement lagoons, alongside the proposed new 1.2 km long rail bridge.SA Water has undertaken, along with DTEI, to revegetate the area with endemic species on completion of the Rail Bridge in early 2013. $2 million will be spent on creating a Bird wetland Sanctuary within the fenced area that was the old Sludge Lagoons!It is questionable if Mangroves would be a part of this re vegetation plan. given that the existing ones seem to have been clinically removed by some person or persons unknown as yet???

they are bloody idiots (council)those mangroves have proberbly been there for 20 years or more they are very slow growing if anything they would enhance the the river. if you want to do anything about a shrub or tree on council land that is interfering with your property they will not let you touch it, i wonder if they sought any advise before chopping those mangroves down.I wont be informing them of any future sightings of mangroves or the like, this has really pissed me off you try & do the right thing to get protection for this sort of thing & some knobhead with nothing better to do decides to do this!!!!!!!!!!!! :c

they are bloody idiots (council)

Amen to that.

you try & do the right thing to get protection for this sort of thing & some knobhead with nothing better to do decides to do this!!!!!!!!!!!! :c

Name me ONE council that does anything right in SA.....or listens to it's people.....or checks with experts first...

Hi Tony,no they were just the messenger. I think he mentioned the NRM but please don't quote me. Hearing is not what it used to be so I miss some bits of conversations....Mentioned affecting water flow in the future, find that a bit hard to rationalise.As all here who fish below Sth Road will know, Bank collapse has been very prevalent over the past few years so some form of stabilisation is required. Very interested to see what rehabilitation method they intend to impliment. My guess is b.. all.Thanks for doing some digging for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Soooooo!!!!! The Council is once more the Culprit :S :S :S

Oh Oh, poor old Council has got it in the neck again, unfortunately they are not the perpetrators in this case.I've just received a pic of the largest mangrove in bits as it was removed and I can confirm categorically that it was the Adelaide and Mount Lofty NRM Board who removed all of the mangroves!!Does any one know how to get a PDF file into something I could post here?The good old copy/paste doesn't do it!!

Good work Kon, I'm impressed, wish I wasn't so lazy with the techy bit, its not that I aint got the time either mate :clap::clap: :clap:Here's a little gem which has just hit my Monitor a few minutes ago, its the report on the removal of the Mangroves and if you can plough through it, you will find that there were NINE distinct patches of Mangroves found and can you believe, 104 plants in total taken out of the system!!! http://www.communitywebs.org/OnkaparingaParks/pdf_files/Onkaparinga%20mangrove%20survey%202010.pdf

Natural Resources Management Board, SOON to be amalgamated into DENR (Department of Environment and Natural Resources) Who knows what wonderful acronym will materialize from this marriage?. One thing for sure, it's a cost cutting excercise and has already taken a toll of more Rangers who have taken severance packages as sweeteners!

I've never liked acronyms. What does "NRM" actually stand for?Prior to this' date=' I always though protected actually meant protected, not protected sometimes but not others, or protected but we reserve the right to decide differently when it suits. :S[/quote']It's worth wading through the report where it will become clear that the mangrove is not endemic to the Onkaparinga system as it is actually a rare samphire system and of course even native species can be out of place where they don't belong.The Friends Group have been removing, for MANY years now an invasive WA tree called Casuarina Glauca at a massive cost in time, labour and money. These were planted 30 or 40 years ago by a well meaning but ill informed Conservation group called "Men of the Trees" These trees sprout from underground suckers off their roots and are very difficult to control!

The tangled webs our politicians weave have to be seen to be believed!I've been an Aussie for more than 20 years now and DENR has suffered numerous acronymical (I think I've invented a new word?) name changes in the name of efficiency,However, unfortunately, it seems to have gone backwards in the face of Government cost cutting excercises resulting in a shortage of rangers and a massive work load put on to the "Friends of Parks" Groups, who are to a man/woman, unpaid volunteers contributing literally thousands of person hours per year to keep our Parks in the amazing condition that they are today!!Check out our site just for interest?http://www.communitywebs.org/onkaparingaparks/