I have only caught a handful of small sharks, but I hope to get into some big ones this summer.I have a Penn Gti 330 spooled with 30lb. A Penn Senator 6/0 with 50lb and a Shimano TLD 50 2 speed with 50lb mono.The Penn Senators are a good entry level shark reel and can be picked up second hand quite cheaply.

How mutch roughly for the tld and the senator?the tld 25 has a line capacity of 50\350 yards, is that enough?

Around the $200 mark for the TLD, which should be big enough for anything you wanna tackle around these waters.If ya wanna move up a notch though, then there's the 2 speed TLD's.Posted Imagehttp://www.shimanofish.com.au/catalog/fish/products/group_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302053874&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181791&bmUID=1214297291881After that, the sky budget is the limit:Posted Image
Guest undertaker

Not sure that I'd want to run 50lb on a TLD 25.......just me though.I'm "old school",so I run all Senators..........4 / 0 spooled 400m 30lb6 / 0 spooled around 500m of 50lb and 2 x 9 / 0....one 700m of 50lb,the other 450m of 80lb.Senators and the Daiwa Sealine "H" series are good quality,and budget type reels.......albeit "antiquated"......they take a lot of "abuse",and don't miss a beat.Sure,there are a lot of far more superior reels around,but they do the job for me.I like to use 50lb,especially when ballooning out big baits........the water pressure on a long length of line can be quite suprising.Each to their own though.

When comparing the two, I guess that the main difference is star drag vs lever drag? I’m looking as setting myself up with something similar at the moment Kingfisher, and am torn between these two (tld 25 and senator4 or 6/0) reels. Anyone on here that owns one of each or has used both and has noted a difference in drag? ???

I've used the TLD's and a Senator 9/0.For this sorta thing I prefer the lever drag, coz ya can preset ya drag tension, and it still gives you the option of overiding this set tension, without pushing the limits too far and snapping the line.With a star drag you're pretty much guessing how much tension you're increasing by, whenever ya touch that drag!

Guest undertaker

I've used the TLD's and a Senator 9/0.For this sorta thing I prefer the lever drag, coz ya can preset ya drag tension, and it still gives you the option of overiding this set tension, without pushing the limits too far and snapping the line.With a star drag you're pretty much guessing how much tension you're increasing by, whenever ya touch that drag!

That's true Ranger......but after you have set your drag with the spring balance........1 / 3 breaking strain of line,I always leave it there anyway,right up til the you're just about to sink the gaff.Then I back it off a bit,in case said animal bolts...........still,a tired fish shouldn't go too far,(should it?)and then,you can tighten the star up again......yes,"guessing".... until back in range, and so on............works for me anyhow.

One of my old timers from the "60's" KP Morrits has held many small sharks to 150lb.They have a reputation for being noisy when casting and hence the nickname "Screecher" But are near indestructible.They come up on ebay now and then for around $25.00Posted ImageCheersRogerG

Guest shark hunter

hi kingfisher i do a lot of shark,stingray fishing i use a shimano tiagra 30 but i dont use it a lot i use a penn international 975 leverdrag with 20lb braid and this will handle any shark around 6 foot i also use a penn spinfisher 8500 egg beater with 20lb braid also.but tld are a good quality reel that dosent cost a fortune.or daiwa also do a lever drag reel about the size of a tld 15 and it comes with a cast control very easy to cast .this is somethink the tld dosent have

With a star drag you're pretty much guessing how much tension you're increasing by, whenever ya touch that drag!

No different to a front drag on an eggbeater playing a large Bream, just on a larger scale.You dont have a dial on them saying you are using excactly x amount of drag, you go by feel.Cheers
  • 3 weeks later...

my personal opinion is that i would not even contemplate an okuma titus, they don't have a very good history, and when i worked in the tackle trade, they provided plenty of headaches.i tend to agree with the majority, it's hard to go past the shimano's. they have reduced dramatically in price in recent times due to the exchange rate, bringing them into reach of the budget minded angler. they have excellent drags and easy to maitain too.over the past eight years i have owned and used in excess of 20 lever drag shimano's ranging from the no longer available tld 5 right up to the tiagra 50w.my biggest shark, a 9'8" bronzie, was caught on a tiagra 30 with 600metres of 15kg. this was a near two hour fight though, and i pushed the boundries with drag settings to ensure i didn't get spooled. however, it's not every day that you will hook a 200kg plus bronzie, so a tld 25 spooled with a reasonably thin 15kg mono should do the job just fine. of course fishing landbased requires more line capacity as you may need to have a substantial amount of line out to get a hook up in the first place, but i believe alot of it comes down to the skill and patience of the angler combined with top notch knots and terminal tackle.also, fishing 24kg is not as easy as it seems. 8kg or more of drag doesn't sound like much, but considering 15kg of drag will pull the average man off their feet, it's certainly not for the faint hearted!if you were seriously wanting to fish 24kg though, a tld 50 2 speed will subdue any bronzie that swims these waters. fishing 24kg is certainly not cheap, there is a big jump in cost, aside from the reel. the rod needs to handle the amount of drag easily so they aren't normally cheap, as well as costing $70 plus just to fill the reel with a quality line.to give you an example, a mate of mine fishes 24kg on a penn 50vsw, and while fishing solo last year he had 3 hookups in one night at an undisclosed location. the first was a six foot bronzie that didn't even pull any line off the reel! the second was obvioulsy a big white pointer, as he was only a hundred metres away from getting spolled on the FIRST run when the line parted! his third hookup was a 10ft bronzie well in excess of 200kg, taking around 45minutes to get close enough to tag and release. he said that he would have lost barely 300 metres of line, but the shark would make several short runs, usually around a hundred metres, something bronzies are known to do. he semmed to think that fishing 24kg was slightly overkill, and he now seems to use 15kg alot more.in summary this i hope outlines the probabilities and possiblities of fishing landbased(i'm assuming) for sharks in south oz. we are limited for species, but this makes selecting the right outfit a bit easier. oh and i highly recommend a decent quality gimbal and kidney harness, they make prolonged battles so much more comfortable!just to note, my preferred outfit is a tiagra 30w spooled with around 900metres of 15kg(just in case!) on a fully rollered bent butt 15kg custom status rod. this outfit would set you back over$1600 but a tld 25 or 50 2speed on a matching rod is just as capable without costing anywhere near as much! stick with lever drags and choose a quality reel like the shimano, and i don't think you can go too far wrong ;)tight lines and bent spines!

Guest Thahn

I will say dont forget the shimano tyrnos they are the model inbetween the TLD and Tiagra. Very sturdy reels and calue for money! Other than that Toddy has covered everything. I will also say there is defintly no need for 24kg gear in south australia on sharks unless your down Port Mac way.

Guest addict

lever drags are a more upmarket drag system but the good old penn senator star draghave accounted for plenty of big bad bronzies of our local metro jettys.It all comes down to money and will both do the job but a lever drag is what i prefer

You could look at the Charter special, it has lever drag and level wind, plus i put nearly 400mtrs of a very expensive, but thin, 30lb braid..And that has caught some huge stingrays without even looking like struggling, and id be well confident on bronzies upto 60 or 70kgs no worries...Yes alot of people use them for snapper, but they are a very strong reel...Plus, with the right rod, it is possible to cast this reel quite a distance if required, which can be useful to get your bait out and away from whatever you are fishing on.. I have mine on a 20kg beastmaster and all up cost me around 300 bucks..Id still be going a spinning reel though, just for ease of use and versatility..

I will say dont forget the shimano tyrnos they are the model inbetween the TLD and Tiagra. Very sturdy reels and calue for money! Other than that Toddy has covered everything. I will also say there is defintly no need for 24kg gear in south australia on sharks unless your down Port Mac way.

I run a Tyrnos30 on a 15-24kg T-Curve, with 24kg moi moi line.I'll be downgrading to 15kg soon...The 24 is probably a little overkill :)Apart from that, a good little outfit that will handle most situations..
  • 1 month later...

Senators are definately the AK-47 of game fishing reels. I would go for a 9/0 without thinking twice. You have some safety if you hook up to a decent bronzie. I have every about 3 lds and they are also good but I would still go for a 9/0. Maybe once you know your gonna be serious about the sport you can branch out and spend some extra money on a reel you know your gonna use... i.e. Tiagra/TLD 50 etc.

hey guru, lloyd said you have a TLD 50? if so how is it im gona get one in the next holies comin up!

Yeah I got one and I got an Okuma titus. The okuma is a couple years older and the drag is still as smooth as the day I bought it and it holds more line than the TLD 50. But I just couldn't resist a reel from shimano and esspecially one as good looking as the TLD50. I would reccomend you buy one A-SAP if you serious about landing a decent bronzie land based... either that or a 9/0... TLD is lighter though.
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...