Mud Cockles - Ban

Had to laugh watching TV last night, apparently there's a ban on taking mud cockles from the Torrens Island area.They interviewed one of the pro's who has a licence and he said that they're in short supply because of over fishing by zealous recreational fisherman.Not apparently due to the 150 tonnes the 2 licence holders take every year...

Totally ban the proffessional taking of mud cockles from the area,how the heck it sustained any proffessional activity for so long defies logic.Err hang on....it hasnt what a surprise,[hence the ban]although the pro cant be totally blamed,the gov department that let it go on ,handed the license out and let them take the 150 t combned limit to start with would pretty well be just as to blame.Go get another job is my advice to the "pro' ,find an alternative source of income that thousands of others have had to do,when things get tough,others have managed,its not as if a pro cockler is some kind of one off that cant get a job elsewhere,at least if hes making ends meet in a factory ect hes not out raping the enviroment.Sorry harsh words ,but the worlds full of hard luck stories,many people lose their income and do it tough,why is it that some of these types make it sound like they are a special case.Cheers B)

This rape and pillage then buy me out thing really gets up my nose. As pointed out, we in the manufacturing industry are thrown on the scrap heap in ever increasing numbers due in some part to the angular challenged level playing field.Just because these guys purchase a license they seem to think the world owes them one after they are often the ones to stuff the thing up.

A few years ago there was a ban on taking them from the port if im not mistaken. I think it had to do with pollution in the port.

There was a ban on taking them anywhere north of outer harbour due to E. coli contamination.E. coli is an indicator organism (bacteria) caused by faecal contamination. There is only one place I know of in the area from which faeces could possibly eminate, yet the overseeing authority will tell you there is no chance of this ever happening, and to my knowledge no explanation as to the cause was ever provided. :blink:Naturally I would never make unfounded accusations or point the finger towards SA Water or the Bolivar Treatment Plant.

A few years ago there was a ban on taking them from the port if im not mistaken. I think it had to do with pollution in the port.I wonder if people knew that some cockles came from the port I'm sure the price will drop down again :clap:

Sell em to the canteen at Parliment house and put seafood marinara on the menu,then tell them where it came from after theyve eaten it. :sick: Either that or export them to Victoria ! :laugh::laugh:

i think rec fishos do more damage than pros out there... its the pros job and income, size limits are in place, and pros obay them. there is alot more recos out there than pros, dragging their anchor all over the place.. recs do more damage to the bottom than pros. and not to mention all the rubbish left around the country side...

i think rec fishos do more damage than pros out there...

When it comes to fish stocks' date=' pollution, degradation of areas, etc, I wouldnt argue the point over who contributes most to damage.In regards to mud cockles [i']Katalesia[/i](a completely different species to goolwa cockles Donax deltoides) in the port though I find it difficult to believe rec anglers are seriously damaging stocks.We are already banned from all intertidal zones, much of the port is closed through being private property or built up, half the closed area is already sanctuary where cockles cant be collected, and there are very limited numbers of mud flats left which allow access to recs through being exposed at low tide.Although I wont dispute a decline in numbers and associated need for a closure, there are only a couple of very small areas left accessible to rec anglers where recs can be found digging in the mud for cockles, with one of these areas (section bank) only accessible by boat.Closed area:Posted ImageNote the closure also includes the sanctuary area north of St Kilda, where we cannot collect regardless.
yep i agree. the cockle side of things the pros are a bit greedy but thats about it. pro fisherman look after their spots' date=' thats the reason they can almost always catch fish[/quote']Only some pros look after there spots and from my experience its charter operators that care the most about the environment. There is both good and bad professional fisherman, just like Reccies, but there is no way you can say that in regards to fish stocks that recreational anglers pilladge and put fish biomasses under the same pressure as professional fisherman.Just take the few hundred tonne of snapper taken from Ardrossan/black point the season just gone and the need to enforce a Total allowable catch. All over the world there is situations where pro fishing industries have depleted stocks to the point where government has to step in and regulate as the pros cant self regulate as as soon as they start making significant money Greed comes into play and they will fish till there gone!I do however at this point want to congratulate the SA Prawn industry as although I am against this type of fishing at all, if its going to be allowed the SA Prawn fishers seem to be doing as much as possible to lessen the damage they could be causing. The charter operators that I have been on too also care about the fish stocks of snapper in our gulfs.But I have to totally agree that with cockles there is not a hope in you know what of Recs taking more mud cockles than the pros or doing more damage. The damage is primarily surely caused by the removal process of taking the cockles in the first place and the shear volume they take must causeing some damage??

Do the pro's harvest these the same as the Goolwa cockles ? Assumedly the areas where the muddies are harvested from are in deper water, therfore entailing a different harvesting technique that recs would struggle to copy :huh::unsure:

totally agree that with cockles there is not a hope in you know what of Recs taking more mud cockles than the pros or doing more damage.

It's been a long long time since I last saw anyone collecting mud cockles in a recreational capacity, unles I've been living under a rock for a while :huh::unsure: