Abu Garcia Cardinal Reels

The old Cardinals , the rear drag ones are superb works of craftmanship, with features ahead of their time that many modern reels have copied in the design.I too have wondered about those ionmepillie the 802s look a nice reel indeed.I have a Cardinal pro which my missus bought me about 10 years ago at least, and its going strong as, in fact i have had more expensive Shimanos and Daiwas that I bought to upgrade it and have ended up packing it in, so the cardinal comes out again , I personally cant speak highly enough of the model i have, never ever had one prob and its as smooth as its ever been.Cheers 8)

Guest shark hunter

hi thunda i would have to agree with finatic why go with the abu when you are using some fine gear.the abu would be ok for a thrash reel but iam not a big fan of abu eggbeaters .if you are after a cheap reel i would look at daiwa cy or a daiwa exceler a great reel that dosent cost a fortune

• 1 month later...

They certainly don't stack up to the big two's top end stuff, but think of it this way, on paper they have more features than any other reel for the same money infact, you'd have to spend over twice the amount for an equivelent reel from the majors....I have an 801 (eqiv to a 1000 or 1500) it is a great little reel, spooled with 3lb crystal fireline.. I've only used it about 3 times, but it seems quite reasonable in fact pretty good considering the cost.Kym, not everyone can afford to spend big buck on tackle that they might not use all that often, for example I very rarely chase big snapper, and as such I have an abu 7000 combo. Now there is much better, and I like to use reels worth 5 times the amount a 7000 is priced for bream fishing but I won't pay for a big $$$$ overhead to sit in the rod rack 363 days each year..Each to there own, I thought it was a valid comment...

Yep, I agree, it's a big word AFFORD, personally I can't afford to feed a pokie, I can't afford to visit the TAB, I can't afford to smoke & I can't afford to work a 5 day 40 hour week, but, out of all that, I have worked out 1 thing over my 25 years of working, the harder I work the luckier I get & I guess that's why I can afford a WRX. Finatic

you could afford to have a bet and a smoke or whatever else you want to do, if you ran a cheaper car that didn't need fresh oil every 5000kms and used a less fuel because it only drive 1 axle...Don't even mention the accidental speeding fines that happen in these cars...if only I'd ticked the non-turbo box when I bought this thing...LOL Keep working hard mate, great things come to those who work hard...

Mike Mangold won the gippsland ABT event in april using an Abu 802 so they can,t be too bad eh cheers brenton

Scotty Towner, the #1 bream angler in the country also uses cardinals with Berkley drop shots rods, but also remember they are sponsored by Berkley/Pure Fishing who distribute ABU.Yak has shown me Daiwa reels at Tackle World and I think would be a better buy ;) ;D I used to be a Shimano fan but I've tried Shimano and Daiwa and now its Daiwa for me ;D