i would be whacking a 2500 on it mate no particular brand, thats the size myself and 2 other members all use, even the same brand(shimano sienna's) and we have been gettn decent catches regularly and they handle it perfect.or you can go banana's and grab a Egi specific reel :)http://www.fishingtackleshop.com.au/products/Daiwa-Emeralds-2506-Squid-Egi-Fishing-Reel.html cheers 4THA

Hi Breambo. Firstly it is great you purchased a Sephia AU, they really are good Egi Rods! There are a few common features that go into a good Squidding Reel. Firstly Lightweight. When using a Light Rod like the Sephia you don't want to be Butt Heavy. It is paramount to really get the Jag working so you want a balanced combo. Secondly a Smooth Drag. Squid can easily take line and that is ok. But you sometimes on a larger Squid you need to put the hurt on them! A nice drag will give you that lifting power on the weight of the Squid as well as the Length and Graphite of the Rod. Reels I would recommend are the 1000 or 2500 Stradic Ci4 and the 2500 Daiwa Emeraldas Infeet 2506. Spooled with 10 - 15lb Braid and a 10 - 20lb Flourocarbon Leader. You should be having a Wicked Squidding Combo on your Hands. Tight Lines. TT.

I'm pretty much going to echo what everyone else is saying...I've heard nothing but good news about the Stradic CI4 reels, I don't have one myself but one is on the wish list.For squid - whether it be from the land, jetty, boat or kayak - I'm of the opinion that success can be found using the same reel and line used for whiting, flathead, gar, etc. Those being in the 1000, 2000, 2500, 3000 size of reasonable quality with 6 to 15lb braid on it with a fluro leader in the order of 10 to 20lb.Brands of reels I can only really speak for are Daiwa Sol, Shimano Stradic & Exage & Baitrunner as they're what I own but there are plenty of other capable reels out there both for reasonable and unreasonble prices.I reckon with squid (just like all other fishing) it's pretty much all down to technique and patience. Let that squid get right good and caught up in that jig, resist the temptation to haul it in, if he/she keeps resisting then just relax and keep your pressure on the line and you'll soon be back to bringing line back in.Good luck with it. And remember... that squid is a loaded gun: don't ever point it at anything you dont want covered in sticky, slimy black ink.Cheers.

Thankyou for all of the feedback guys. At the moment I am probably leaning towards the stradic ci4 2500.

You can't really go wrong with that choice. Throw a run of 15lb braid on it and that reel will do you well for squid, whiting and even reasonable snapper.Let us know what you reckon of the reel once you've got your hands on it and given it a test wind.Tight lines.

Thankyou for all of the feedback guys. At the moment I am probably leaning towards the stradic ci4 2500.

Have you looked at the Sephia reels?http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Shimano-Sephia-BB-C3000-S-Spinning-Reel-JDM-New-/280720616561?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415c40ac71I reckon the 3000 would balance perfectly with your rod as it's a light reel.
  • 2 weeks later...