braid or flourocarbon?

That really depends on your preference mate, and what you plan to do with the reel. Generally you would be better of with say, 6lb braid to a flurocarbon leader. Fishing straight flurocarbon is good though, casts fairly well though sometimes not as far a as braid of the same strenght, but it is very stealthy and has high abrasion resistance.I dont think anyone could answer this for you, as there is no difinitive answer, but most anglers would go the braid/ fluro combination. Try experimenting with long leaders up to 10m or so, if ya like it, then try running flurocarbon straight through.

BRAID! Flurocarbon doesnt last as long as it isnt as abrasion resistant, you tend to loose more when you get busted off, and it doesnt cast anywhere dear as well as briad. Flurocarbon initially appears to be a little cheaper, but in the long run braid comes out way on top ;D

BRAID! Flurocarbon doesnt last as long as it isnt as abrasion resistant, you tend to loose more when you get busted off, and it doesnt cast anywhere dear as well as briad. Flurocarbon initially appears to be a little cheaper, but in the long run braid comes out way on top ;D

You got that WRONG big time :icon_evil: Think you should go back to fishing school.... :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Wow!Nah i dont think so ;)Flurocarbon is more abrasion resistant thats why is make good leader line! As far as losing more; well i just dont get it??Finally per meter flurocarbon is on par or as expensive as good braid.U need to make ur own mind up though, as can be seen relying on others misinformation wont help you make the correct decision.

Another thing to remember is line twist. Not so much an issue if you're using bibbed hard bodies like chubbies. But if you are continually winding on slack line, fishing soft plastics, even suspending/sinking lures, you will run into issues as there is not enough tension on the line roller for it to be effective. This became evident to me after a few big tangles and after only a couple of sessions. Having said that, I do like using flurocarbon but i'll just pick whichever suits at the time.

Guest undertaker

I have run straight fluorocarbon for a couple of seasons now, and have never had a problem with it.Fishing mainly on the "shallow" beaches of Yorke Peninsula,have taken good numbers of mullet,tommies and whiting.tut tut tut _matt_ :'( ;D

• 2 weeks later...

Whoa! I haven’t looked in this thread since I posted! As far as not lasting as long, I was referring to the lack of need to use leaders, meaning that when you get busted off you don't just loose you’re leader (which I find usually happens with me because I fish light leader that always breaks before my mainline), you tend to loose more and therefore get spool-lip quicker, which impairs casting distance and usually ends up in me getting fed up and just re-spooling. The rate at which you get spool lip also worsens because of fluorocarbon’s larger diameter. Therefore expense wise it would be understood that if you need to buy more of it more often, then its going to cost more, simple! As far as abrasion resistance that was a type’o lol. I really need to read what I’ve written before posting. ::)As for grumpy lighten up man!! There’s no need for hate about a type’o and an opinion that wasn't worded properly. To each his own anyway shaneomack05, I have mates who prefer using 2-3lb fluorocarbon right through and love it, so the decision is up to you. Didn’t mean to mislead you, and hopefully you read others posts which pointed out flaws in what I’d posted before making you’re decision. Personally, I prefer braid. Hope that’s cleared up any misconceptions. :)Cheers. Matt

Guest undertaker

As far as abrasion resistance that was a type’o lol. I really need to read what I’ve written before posting. ::) Hope that’s cleared up any misconceptions. :)

--It happens......you would'nt be the Lone Ranger buddy ;)
  • 2 months later...

Hi I'm a novice at using braid, and just to add to the discussion, I have found using braid in the wind tends to give me more tangles around the tip of the rod and on the spool,(maybe just my technique needs to improve) hence more down time from fishing. I like the "feel" of the vibrations the lure puts out when retrieving using braid. but like the simplicity of fluro.

Sammson, is the fact that the braid is wrapping around the rod tip, due to the fact that it is twisting? The line that is! If your lures are twisting and you dont have a swivel, the line twist will build up and cause you all manner of greif. Same thing if your bait spins in fast flowing water, unless you ahve the correct size swivel, it wont function properly and will create twist.

• 2 weeks later...

Coonta Kinta not using swivel to keep it as light as possible,(maybe try a swivel next time though) the line seams to get caught on the 2nd or 3rd ring from the top and wrap around from there to the tip. It nearly always occurs when I have have retrieved and I am changing bait or after unhooking fish ie. the rod is at rest if you know what I mean.Cheers.

G'day Samsson,First of all forget the swivel mate not needed ;). There are a few reasons why your braid is tangling up ;) process of elimination ;D1st line getting caught in the eyes of the rod, check your leader knot to ya fluorocarbon if this is too bulky it will cause tangles at the tip. This can also happen if your line is spooling off the reel incorrectly. The type of reel you can make a big difference ;) so a braid friendly reel will go a long way ;D 2nd, Line tangles at the spool, you need to look at how full the spool is ;) is it overfull? also it the line loose on the spool? is the leader knot catching the line as you cast? all these can cause problems ;) Again as before the type of reel you have plays a big part ;).again don't use a swivel :( if you want to fish ultra light for bream or trout a swivel will just kill that :( If you want a leader knot to connect ya braid to fluorocarbon leader I suggest grab a knot book and practice a few different ones ;)I would also suggest dropping into Tackle World at Salisbury or St Kilda Tackle 'N' Tucker or Adelaide Bait & Tackle and have a chat to them about ya problems and have a look at their reels ;DAnd also next time ya out with Scorpion have a chat to him too ;) Cheers ;D

Thanks for the replies guy's, did not explain problem very well. the line is not getting caught going through the eyes but rather a loop of line forms and drops down below the rod then the loop catches on one of the eye's and then wrap's around the tip 2 or 3 times. Good advice about going in to the tackle shops, tying braid to mono leader needs a uni degree rather than a uni knot (or whatever) when using stumpy fingers and thumbs, must be an easier wayCheers

G'day, Samsson,Good to catch up with you at Lord blackbilly's Silver Perch"Fish In"Luv this knot for braid to fluro carbon, don't know if it has a name.Here goes,make a straight loop in both your braid and your flurocarbon and offer both loop ends together with more length on the braidas this is what forms the knot.Bring the braid loop UP the fluro loop, wind the braid 6 times up then 6 times down the fluro and then feed DOWN the formed fluro loop.Wet the knot with saliva and draw as tightly as possible tugging all ends and trimming as close as possible with a craft knife blade.Got no idea if this will solve your problem but it's certainly a good starting point.Cheers, tonyb.

gidday samssonthahns and tonyb are both on the money mate i use an 8x5 albright in 30Lb finns braid to 50Lb mono leader this has held for a 66LB / 30Kg murray cod ( maccullochella peelipeeli )in a 25 minute battle, L/B ,in heavy snags. :icon_e_smile:had a day last year pulled 0ver 40 golderns in a one hour session ( ridgee-didge)never changed the 10Lb leader ;D, I also use it with 4LB fireline to 6LB flourocarbon on my bream outfit ,Haveing also used this outfit for Goldern perch and small muzzers up to about 3Kg.I tie it slightly different to tonyb in that I only loop my leader ,holding the loop beetween left hand thumb and forefinger then bring single main line up thru the loop wrap towards your thumb 8 times going over the top and away from yourself then in the same direction wrap 6 times back towards the end of the loop and take the tag down thru the same place you came up thru the loop The knot has never let me down.I like it because you can trim the tags very close to the knot and you dont even feel in going thru the rod guides.But I make sure i dont wind the knot onto the spool with bream outfit as I want max cast distance. 8x5=8 wraps down your your loop,6 wraps back up .I've seen blokes do as many as 13x13 but I find it a bit hard to pull tight.Also it helps if you slip the loop over something like a peg so you can pull a bit of tension on the loop while you do the doings with the braid.Hope this helps,hope it dosn't confuse you more,if you want me to talk you through it P/M me Reguards peelipeeli 13

Yep, Thahn's on the right track, more braid line area, means more friction, means more grip. If you think of the flurocarbon the braid only traps it in it's own bend shape and it's not really knotted technically.Still, I imagine peeli's single braid would have applications, maybe if you wanted to use a heaps long fluro leader so the smaller knot would pass through the top eye of the rod a bit more smoothly.All good stuff guys, cheers, tonyb.

Hi ThahnThanks for the response,I think i'll give it a try with the double braid out of interest :icon_e_wink: I learnt 8x5 from a friend who must have lure caught 100ds of cod of all sizes and as i mention in last post i have never had a knot fail,or slip.But I'll let you know what i think in the future :) the river is much too dirty and running a bit too fast for tossing lures into snags as i found out last monday .tried 11 locations for 0 fish :-[ :( cheers peelipeeli 13

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer braid as I can feel it easier so that if the fish are biting my bait or lure, I can tell. Also with braid you can feel what the bottom structure is like once ya get used to it. Also with braid its easier to get your rig back from snags but its not 100% foolproof. With braid you will need to use a mono or a fluro leader for abrasion resistance and as to not spook wary fish. I would only use fluro if I am baitfishing and the target is being wary, and also when you are sight fishing for bream, trout etc. in shallow waters as the braid will most likely spook them off.