Sinker making help!!

i have just made a batch of pyramid and snapper sinkers but was wondering if there was any sort of method to the pouring as on the pyramids they have lines through them and dags on the bottom of them and the snapper leads have squiggly patterns through them. i cleaned up the daggy bits and know they will work the same but i want to pour perfect leads like you buy in the shops. also what type of pot do people use as while im pouring it starts setting. i was thinking a cast iron pot will do nicely but am interested in what you guys use.cheers jewie

Ideally you could order in a lead melting pot which has a lever to pour through the bottom ...see linkhttp://www.barlowstackle.com/Lead-Melting-Pots-Ladles-and-Accessories-C62.aspxI just you a very old cheap saucepan which i have bent into shape to have a lip for easy pouring and take it straight off the portable stove and pour straight in. Nice and hot and the lead doesn't cool on the way in leaving squiglles as you have found.

I've never done it so not the best person to answer this but i'll offer my 2 cents.I've read a lot of people use a cast iron pot and i'm on the lookout for one at the moment for the same purpose.Do you use a ladle to pour or are you using the pot (cleaner and easier to control the amount)? If it is setting as you are pouring maybe your mold isn't hot enough..Do you preheat the mold before you pour? (stops it from setting/cooling too much before you have finished pouring)Also do you remove any slag once the lead is melted in the pot? (gets rid of the stuff you don't want)Hopefully someone can help you who knows but there is some food for thought :)(Anyone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong)Squid

SS spot on with all point. I'm no pro either but got the hang of it pretty quick.Pre warm...normally just 2 pours will do and drpo the mangles mess back into meltKeep the opening clean as well as mouldKeep lead hot and keep on a roll with productionI use cheap mould and drop them to open which cleans and release the lead in one go. Dodgy but it works for me until I buy some good quality gear.You can also get a release agent which could help if your having issues

With a pre-heated mould after the first couple of pours it will be much easier, i also use just an old saucepan and a soup ladle as this has a very small spout on one edge. Once you get on a roll just keep going and you'll end up with a result like these.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageGood luck and wear welders gloves and safety glasses. ;)

I use a Lee melter, 220v version is available, mine came from the US via ebay ;)Heating the moulds is a must for me otherwise the lead won't come out as easily, a few pours the leads pop out with ease. In between moulds I rest on the top of my melter. I tried sooting up with a candle but it didn't work too well, I probably needed to soot up more.If you get a melter my best advice would be use clean lead or if you use dodgy lead like me, melt it in something old, I use a baked bean tin, then pour out ingots (just large sinkers :P ) then use them as clean lead. I say this as my melting pot is covered in rust on the inside, this buggers up the pouring spout where the lead drips out, clogs up all the damn time, wish I hadn't buggered that up as now it's easier just to pour from a tin :( If you mould running sinkers a bycicle spoke is good to use for the holes, heat em up first like the moulds, I have a pice of wood on the end to use as a handle.I'd have to echo what Rickster said about safety gear, I wear welding gloves, glasses and a mask, a sinker dropped out of a mould bounced off my bench and landed right between my legs on my chair, last time I ever sat down and did moulds, I now have a permanent reminder melted in my chair of what could have happened to my leg.melting-pot01.jpgmelting-pot02.jpgsinkers01.jpg

• 2 weeks later...