How to clean a salt water soaked rod and reel?

My bloke went snorkelling today as i caught dinner for him and he brought me back A fishing rod and reel a 10-15kg ugly stick, its about 5ft'7 ?And the reel is a shakespear Power playI was thinking of just rubbing it down with WD40, but i thought i would ask first :)The reel seems a bit small to be matched with 10-15kg rodLiek the Subect says, How would i got about cleaning it up?DSC_0212.JPGDSC_0213.JPGDSC_0214.JPG

wow what a great find.Those rods are as tuff as nails and a really good heavy snapper rod.Use car polish on the rod especially around the reel seat and to get any rust off the eyes if it has any?for me the reel is a throw away item as it needs new line and having pulled a reel that was in better condition than this one out of west lakes one day myself, and even though I stripped it down and serviced it, I had the reel pack it in only six months later. It just got gradually harder and harder to wind until it was no more.if it were me that found it, I would keep the rod and not worry about the reel..but this is just my opinion..great score though!

Kat, I'd say the reel wouldn't be worth trying to salvage. It looks pretty beat up. Probably be better to throw the reel away and pick up a good Shimano Spin reel for 30 - 40 bucks. As for the rod, awesome score! Worth about 90 - 100 bucks! As Brett said, a bit of car polish to clean off all the rust / salt water damage, the pick up a can of tackle guard for 14 bucks and you'll be good to go.As for the reel, you could use that as a practice for servicing.

Nice find there.Focus on the real seat and guides, if they clean up nicely, there's nothing that could go wrong with that blank. Check the number on the rod too, cos Rickster looks to be spot on, those guides seem small in diameter which means it may be a overhead rod ;). Either way, I'd take it to a tackle shop when cleaned up and get advice on what reels they've got. If it is a spin rod, I'd go a 6000 size reel with 30 or 40lb braid. Use a heavy leader like 40-60lb and you could catch anything that swims with that thing. My rollered shark rod is only rated to 15kg!!! When ever you're fishing... Wherever, bring the big stik with you and chuck something big out on it (or something alive) and it'll give you a smile when a beast of a fish hooks up :)Practice withthe reel or whatever, but it'll be cactus for sure. Happy days, I love them rods

:cheer: :cheer: By the look of how much line is on the spool, it looks as if a big fish or ray has taken it and almost spooled it. Was it near the jetty when you found it or a long way out.Its pretty funny to think that maybe the owner had a big bait on it, and wasnt watching it. Its gone in the drink and what ever it is has continued to swim off taking almost all of the line with it! :f :f :f :f :unsure:

I'd drop the entire reel into a bucket of fresh water until you are ready to begin, just to help slow the salt and corrosion.Disassemble the entire reel, give everything a good scrub in warm soapy water, everything gets a good squirt with Inox, then stick it all back together again, a little reel oil or reel grease on all the moving parts, and give it another good squirt of Inox.It's a freebie anyways, so you lost nothing to give it a go even if it's beyond salvage, it's totally useless if you dont give it a go, and in the process you'll gain a bit of knowledge on how to strip down your good reels for an occasional service and clean.Here's a website which will help with schematics so that you get everything back together in the right place: http://www.reelschematic.com/schematics.htmlAlan Tani is a reel guru, and if you have any problems or questions, the answers will all be found here: http://alantani.com/

Nothing wrong with a Shimano TR200 if you dont want to go over $100. Good basic OH reel with 6kgs of drag. I've got one on my game rod at the moment and there's video of it catching a nice hammer head on this site somewhere. :). It was $120 some years ago, and has been conditioned after having a swim lol. But you oughtta get change from $100 for on of them now a days I reckon. Otherwise for just a touch more, the charter specials or Abu 7000 are kills reels for the cash :) Can't wait for the pictures of your catch :) :)