quick bait session!!

"had free couple of hours yesterday so headed out with A MATE local and got stuck into some squid and snook"If you only mention one friend it's fair to assume there were only two present. Hence my response :whistle: P.S Thought i'd add you have the fish/squid lined up in two distinct piles with a line drawn in the sand between them (Also would indicate the catch of two different people)I'm glad you are aware of and follow the rules though :clap:

"had free couple of hours yesterday so headed out with A MATE local and got stuck into some squid and snook"If you only mention one friend it's fair to assume there were only two present. Hence my response :whistle: P.S Thought i'd add you have the fish/squid lined up in two distinct piles with a line drawn in the sand between them (Also would indicate the catch of two different people)I'm glad you are aware of and follow the rules though :clap:

Totally agree. That's the perception i got.

all i did was post a quick report of wat we caught and people always have something negative to say! so im gonna keep my pics and reports off here cheers

Don't let a few comments keep your reports of this site JH. I reckon many other site users (like me) enjoy reading about your efforts.Next time SS and AFF maybe just ask whether he was in a boat or on the land before commenting based on assumptions. (Not having a crack).KEEP THE PEACE.......PS: Well done JH.

Never knew that you needed 3 people on a boat otherwise the bag limit per person applies. Always thought if you went out on a boat that the boat limit automatically applies seeing that you pay for the licence and also for the fuel just to be out there. Hmm... Regardless, didn't think this was an issue because I assumed jewie was on a boat from his catch. No one's gonna brag about catching over their bag limit in a public forum.

I assumed initially he was on a boat to get a catch like that, but my issue was he indicated 2 people caught 37 squid which is illegal. Boat or no boat. He has now stated there was a third person on the boat who was not fishing and as I don't know the technicalities involved as to whether this is legal or not I will not comment.Using squid/cuttlefish as an example1 person on land = 15 combined squid/cuttlefish1 person on a boat = 15 combined squid/cuttlefish2 people on a boat = 30 combined squid/cuttlefish3 people on a boat = 45 combined squid/cuttlefish4 people on a boat = 45 combined squid/cuttlefishetc.It is our responsibility to learn and follow the rules.Fish for the future

aaaaagh the joys of forums!.Great work JewieBut I must admit that at first I thought you were landbased too, but then when he said boat I went oh of course you idiot Brett he goes out a bit with friends in small tinnies and sometimes in bigger boats.Isnt it strange how if you see a pic your mind starts telling you things (assumptions) that can be wrong without checking first. Tks for clearing that up Jewie, cos I was like oh my god you REALLY have this land based squiding DOWN!Im sorry for even letting land based thoughts and possible over-bags come into my head :fishing::fishing:

Again missed the pointHe admitted the two of them caught them all. To reiterate TWO PEOPLE CAUGHT THAT CATCH by his admissionI've assumed nothing incorrectly, merely stated the facts as they have been presented.Boat or no boat two people can't do that. Doesn't matter if they were landbased or in a boat so i'm unsure as to why that gets brought upWhatever... CFB arguing this

Again missed the pointHe admitted the two of them caught them all. To reiterate TWO PEOPLE CAUGHT THAT CATCH by his admissionI've assumed nothing incorrectly' date=' merely stated the facts as they have been presented.Boat or no boat two people can't do that. Doesn't matter if they were landbased or in a boat so i'm unsure as to why that gets brought upWhatever... CFB arguing this[/quote']My understanding of the rules are even if the third person doesnt actively fish for squid then they are still aloud to take 45squid?Or is this not the case.another example of this is you go out on a boat with three crew chasing snapper. The third member is sea sick and cant fish. Does that then mean you can only take four snapper or are you still legally allowed to take 6fish.I thought you could take 6? As you had three people or anglers on board.

My understanding is person can not take over their bag limit no matter what. ie 1 person can take 15 squid / person / day full stop. The boat limit is only there to limit the total number taken from the boat, and therefore limit the number of individual bag limits that are caught. So when you have more than three people on a boat, each person can take a maximum of their bag limit individually, but combined with the other individuals, also cannot take over the total boat limit.Whilst it is granted and accepted that because the boat limit is in place, it doesn't really matter, if all the persons are fishing, in what numbers each individual catches, each person is still not supposed to exceed their own individual bag limit.If someone is not actually fishing, the others are not supposed to exceed their own individual bag limits to make up for that person.

Just thought I'd point something out which bears a lot of similarity to this.In the case of cockling, if you go in a group, usually someone stays back to count the cockles, check the size or even just go there to enjoy the beach. There's always an inactive participant. ie. they do not go out there to dig for the cockles. However, the bag limit for the cockles here applies to the number of people you have in your big group, not the people who are out there digging for cockles.Now if you agree with this cockling bag limit, you shouldn't have any issues with this squidding scenario with Jewie because his dad most certainly participated in one way or another by cleaning the boat of the squid ink, landing the squid or even placing the squids in the correct buckets so jewie and his mate wouldn't lose any squidding time. His duty in this case would be similar to that of a cockling partner who sits on the beach and counts the cockles or checks for the size.

Guest Shark-Kat 6
Just thought I'd point something out which bears a lot of similarity to this.In the case of cockling' date=' if you go in a group, usually someone stays back to count the cockles, check the size or even just go there to enjoy the beach. There's always an inactive participant. ie. they do not go out there to dig for the cockles. However, the bag limit for the cockles here applies to the number of people you have in your big group, not the people who are out there digging for cockles.Now if you agree with this cockling bag limit, you shouldn't have any issues with this squidding scenario with Jewie because his dad most certainly participated in one way or another by cleaning the boat of the squid ink, landing the squid or even placing the squids in the correct buckets so jewie and his mate wouldn't lose any squidding time. His duty in this case would be similar to that of a cockling partner who sits on the beach and counts the cockles or checks for the size.[/quote']Spoke to PIRSA about this the other day and anyone sitting on the beach and not actively cockling in their opinion does not have a part in the quota!

I figured that was the case. Each fisher is responsible for his/her own bag limit.I'm pretty sure that is the legislation but there is literally no way to enforce the rule unless you're a fisheries officer on the boat for the WHOLE time. So impossible to enforce.On a lighter note is was a great catch and i'm sure the fellas had the best intentions at the time.Tight lines lads :)

Hey mate nice catch.Not going to jack your thread mate will keep my opinions to myself.Fisheries explanation is pretty grey on this subject. There is no black and white.From PIRSA website:-Personal daily bag limitThere are limits to the number of a particular fish species that can be taken by one fisher.Daily boat limitIf three or less people are fishing from a boat, the personal bag limit applies to each person.If three or more people are fishing from a boat the combined boat limit (that is the total number of fish that can be landed onto the boat) is generally set at three times the personal bag limit. Note: for abalone and rock lobster the combined boat limit is set at twice the personal bag limit.For example, the daily bag limit of King George whiting for one person is 12. If only two people are fishing from a boat, 24 whiting are allowed. If there are three people on board, 36 whiting are allowed. If four or more people are fishing on board, they are only allowed a combined total of 36 whiting.Note that different boat limits apply for charter boat fishing.Bag and boat limits apply for a 24-hour period from midnight to midnight. Once you have caught your bag or boat limit of a particular species, you are not allowed to catch anymore of that species during that 24-hour period. Cheers