braid or mono

I use braid on all my lure chucking setups, be they surf or other, but for fishing baits in the surf, especially big baits for big fish, I prefer mono for a few reasons, the stretch it provides when fighting a fish, the better abrasion resistance, and less problems with twist, tangles and weed. I use 20 pound on my light setup, 30 on my main mully/shark rig, and sometimes 40 on my extra heavy heaver rod. I also run overheads on all these rigs so line capacity is not an issue and if I make a mistake on a cast I don't birdsnest $50 worth of braid.

I use mono in the surf ,in fact only use braid for certain things.Just a personal choice,try untangling 5 kilos of kelp and berry weed off a rig down at salt creek... need a black belt in macrame with braid your best friend is a good old fashioned knife :laugh: Maybe ok over FWC surf beaches with clean gutters and you only have to plonk a bait 40 metres out in a gutter,but in general would give it a wide berth off the sand.As for that berkely nanofil yuk probably be the worst choice of line not only for Surf but almost anything else ,cant stand the stuff,feel cheated after reading all the hype, and forked out 30 odd bills of hard earned for what looked like weak cotton which gave nothing but grief! B)

agree with Plankton, braid is brilliant for lures in the surf.... with a mono trace of a metre to the lure. Only ever used braid once of the beach at salts(one cast) that rod slept for the rest of the weekend. Mono by far, used sufix 25 pound brilliant line for the overhead. choices open up with an egg beater reel, currently running 30 pound with the Penn spinfisher for bigger baits. Seaweed=current is braids worst enemy.

as the boys said guess its all personal preference i dont think i even own a reel with mono left on it unless i dont really use it just the way i prefer too fish ,i used too fish mono on most of my gear but since changing too fireline on a cople of setups i havent gone back too mono yet be it at salties or anywhere else for that matter .i just prefer the braid myself.MMp.s some nice looking frontosa in your tank mate.