Fly fishing adelaide hills

First of all welcome to the site Pretz43.If I was you I would go and join SAFWAA who are a good fishing club. they have stocked dams on private property across the Adelaide hills. I used to be a member many moons ago when they first started up, great club at least it was when I was a member, but from what I hear it still is.also there will be people in the club who could help you with the fly fishing, but you will find them here too.My best trout was a 6lb Rainbow from one of there dams :icon_e_biggrin:but im sure there will be others here who could suggest other options.Cheers Ian ;D

The south para reservoir is a good spot to go if your just starting. With the water been so low at the moment all the trees are a long way back. There's some good redfin in there, even if not as many as a few years ago when the water was up. And its only about 15min from 1 tree hill. Its on the kersbrook to williamstown rd almost to williamstown.

First of all welcome to the site Pretz43.If I was you I would go and join SAFWAA who are a good fishing club. they have stocked dams on private property across the Adelaide hills. I used to be a member many moons ago when they first started up, great club at least it was when I was a member, but from what I hear it still is.also there will be people in the club who could help you with the fly fishing, but you will find them here too.My best trout was a 6lb Rainbow from one of there dams :icon_e_biggrin:but im sure there will be others here who could suggest other options.Cheers Ian ;D

I think I was approached by one of their members back in Summer and he indicated that their private dams were not that good anymore.But seeing we have had rain who knows.And nice to see you found this one PretzI hope the guys can be helpful

I think I was approached by one of their members back in Summer and he indicated that their private dams were not that good anymore.But seeing we have had rain who knows.

Pretty sure they are still good! Dont know who u were talking to! 20 dams all over the hills i dot think theyd all go bad at the same time!
As I said it was in the middle of summer Yak with a drought and I had just fly fished 4 hours on the lake;D.He did lose me after he started quoting prices on joining and being on probation and doing work for the club etc.If it was the same fly fishing club .

He did lose me after he started quoting prices on joining and being on probation and doing work for the club etc.If it was the same fly fishing club .

Nope not the same one Big Ian mentioned SAFWAA(SouthAustralianFreshWaterAnglersAssociation) and the club which i am also a member of. By sounds of the probation ect, it was actually a SAFFA (South Autralian Fly Fishers Association) member you were taking to! And it would be normal for their Trout dams to slow up in summer, especially as most are fished only landbased.SAFWAA has dams stocked with Trout but also Golden, Silver and Redfin Perch, Cod, Tandanus Catfish and even the odd Bass, so winter and summer both offer good flyfishing and spin options.Catch ya Yak!

although you may laugh, and it may not seem like it now, the advice that most streams that have water in Feb, have trout is actually the number 1 tip!Whatsmore it really lets the imagination run wild about whats in where (half the fun of trout fishing). No angler worth their salt is ever going to hand trout fishing to ya on a plate in SA. Its too hard and the waters are too limited, that said there are some great options, and once you scratch the surface u'll be surprised what ya find! Plus, Start catching a few and tounges might loosen a bit too!

hey pretz, I'm a newby too, just found strikehook through Christies tackle store. I'm vice pres. of SAFWAA and we have 3,000 trout hot to trot this year as we spent no money last year on fish with the drought! For a little over a dollar a week you can get a slice of the action, everybody welcome. We have Fly Fishing tuition, fly sales and lots of expertise in our membership! We have a number of trophy's in different classes, I have the Trout trophy for 2008 and the redfin trophy for the last two years, great fun and we also have monthly outings and comp's! 2nd Thursday of the month, Police club, Carrington St. 7.30pm. cuthere. Tonyb :icon_lol:

i have a large creek that flows by my house most of the year except in the past year or two with the drought lol. anyway there is always water there even if it is not flowing. would there be any trout there?

As a novice to Trout it could have you seen any fish by walking past the creek?Trout Carp redfincould all be in any of our creeks Not to forget Catfish and native fish

Pretz43The billabong would almost certainly hold redfin perch and catfish and a good chance that there are a few trout surviving in the holes along the creek.MickyJIt would be unusual to see trout when walking past since they have excellent eyesight and are very shy. Sitting still, with back against a tree or dense bush, so that you are not silhouetted against the sky, is the best way to eyeball any fish, polarized sunnies help too since they remove the glare from the water. Floating bread will often attract fish even if they are only curious but a square of cheddar(Tasty) cheese is great for attracting trout. I have caught many brownies on cheese where flies and lures have failed. About a 1cm cube on a 4# hook is just right. If it cant take a 4# hook then it is too small to catch, leave it to grow up!RogerG

Pretz43The billabong would almost certainly hold redfin perch and catfish and a good chance that there are a few trout surviving in the holes along the creek.MickyJIt would be unusual to see trout when walking past since they have excellent eyesight and are very shy. Sitting still, with back against a tree or dense bush, so that you are not silhouetted against the sky, is the best way to eyeball any fish, polarized sunnies help too since they remove the glare from the water. Floating bread will often attract fish even if they are only curious but a square of cheddar(Tasty) cheese is great for attracting trout. I have caught many brownies on cheese where flies and lures have failed. About a 1cm cube on a 4# hook is just right. If it cant take a 4# hook then it is too small to catch, leave it to grow up!RogerG

I was thinking of Carp RogerG.In my youth I would walk along the Torrens and see some very large fish .Before the ducks came along you could get them excited as hell with a good long burley trail of bread .As I say Trout I know nothing about :)