BaitRunner Effect

bjorn2fish wrote:

Some people leave their bail arm open then when they get a bite flick the bail arm closed then strike and wind. That might give you a bit of a bait runner effect.

I know I personally use that Technique especially for unweighted Bream baits next to structure Pontoons etc.A Bait Running technique I use though. Is to back the Drag right off the Reel so there is no resistance and then as the Fish takes the Bait. Lock up Drag and set the Hook. Hope this helps cheers TT

Baitrunner is not a must bud ;) Even though I fish in gear, I basically use two distinct drag settings. Have a reasonably light drag so it's enough to cause an little bit of effort to take line, (don't know what poundage or anything). And if the fish takes it, it can just run anyway without too much strain on the rod, especially if it ain't in my hands when it hits.Then a couple of winds to increase the drag and I strike just to make sure the hooks are set nicely.If you think about it, if you are fishing anything other than an unweighted bait, then the sinker is going to provide some resistance anyway... Even with a running rig because the fish takes of that quick the sinker lifts up. With the weight I use to keep a live bait.down, I.reckon that's enough to set your hooks anyway ;) I bought some 'owner cutting point' hooks the other day and.they reckon on the pack its like 1pound of pressure to.set them (or something ridiculous like that. And if using a float, that's even more pressure than lifting a sinker will create. Anyway, that's just me, I don't really like baitrunners, I used them snapper fishing for a while, but.found with the.current and sinkers, the reel was set pretty heavy anyway just to keep the bait where it needs to be.Just my thoughts mate :)

you can't leave the bail arm open and use live bait for mulloway. chances are you're livie will spool you. a cheap baitrunner is the marado 39bux at k-mart. i highly recommend it, i've caught a 84cm mully, 90cm snapper and eagle ray 40-50kg on it and it hasn't failed on me yet.. i've caught mulloway with regular spin reels but a baitrunner makes it so much easier.

bjorn2fish wrote:

Some people leave their bail arm open then when they get a bite flick the bail arm closed then strike and wind. That might give you a bit of a bait runner effect.

I know I personally use that Technique especially for unweighted Bream baits next to structure Pontoons etc.A Bait Running technique I use though. Is to back the Drag right off the Reel so there is no resistance and then as the Fish takes the Bait. Lock up Drag and set the Hook. Hope this helps cheers TT
Would definitely use this technique over leaving the bail arm open.As the fish swims off you will hear the drag and then it is just a matter of turning it up to fighting drag strength.Then you don't have to clamp the bail down with line racing away at a million miles

bjorn2fish wrote:

Would definitely use this technique over leaving the bail arm open.As the fish swims off you will hear the drag and then it is just a matter of turning it up to fighting drag strength.Then you don't have to clamp the bail down with line racing away at a million miles
Gotta admit, I'd be doing it this way too, not real hard to tighten up the drag as you go. When you get a decent run you can hold your reel so it slows taking line to set the hook if you need to, then worry about tightening the drag.

Cheers for the replies guys ;););) Probably just back the drag off so the livie cant take line off but the mully canI'll be using an easy rig clip to hold the sinker so the livie can move around a bitAgain thanks for the help and if anyone of you WL mully experts got any more tips there more than welcome :P

Tip #1: don't go for em dude, It'll drive you mad! they don't call them Silver Ghosts for nothing!Tip #2: Use ultra sharp hooks. Blunt hooks will cause more hurt to your livie and it will die fast.Tip #3: I like maximizing my casting distance when im in WL to get out far and wide. So use a sinker weight that's just enough to anchor the livie. Otherwise you'll find casting a livie out with a big sinker will reduce your casting distance significantly. Think of it as two weights(livie and sinker) fighting for direction during a cast and because of this effect your casting distance suffers.Im no expert though :P goodluck :fishing::fishing::fishing:

Tip #1: don't go for em dude' date=' It'll drive you mad! they don't call them Silver Ghosts for nothing![/quote']Ahahaha cheers for the tips NikhumJust thought while fishing for bream i'd have a livie kicking about so im not expecting a fish every session but will welcome any stray Mully that decides to eat my offerings.
Tip #1: don't go for em dude' date=' It'll drive you mad! they don't call them Silver Ghosts for nothing![/quote']Ahahaha cheers for the tips NikhumJust thought while fishing for bream i'd have a livie kicking about so im not expecting a fish every session but will welcome any stray Mully that decides to eat my offerings.
mulloway fishermen fish for mulloway not bream.
Tip #1: don't go for em dude' date=' It'll drive you mad! they don't call them Silver Ghosts for nothing!Tip #2: Use ultra sharp hooks. Blunt hooks will cause more hurt to your livie and it will die fast.Tip #3: I like maximizing my casting distance when im in WL to get out far and wide. So use a sinker weight that's just enough to anchor the livie. Otherwise you'll find casting a livie out with a big sinker will reduce your casting distance significantly. Think of it as two weights(livie and sinker) fighting for direction during a cast and because of this effect your casting distance suffers.Im no expert though :P goodluck :fishing::fishing::fishing:[/quote']HEY Nikhum, I have learned a cool trick for avoiding the two weight casting problem. I know.what you mean exactly mate. I was fishing for snapper off the rocks north of wallaroo a few years back and the big tommy livebait was causing dramas casting as my bait and sinker would be miles apart!Here is the solution to this problem; -Use a plastic easy rig slide-Have your nice long trace with your two hooks to pin your live bait. And join it to the mainline with a good swivel.-Above your swivel have the ezyrig slide running on the mainline.-DO NOT ATTACH YOUR SINKER DIRECTLY TO THE EZYRIG SLIDE (otherwise the two weight issue occurs).-ATTACH a small piece of line (I use a light poundage) say 10-20cm in length to the ezyrig slide ;) make a loop at the end to easily change sinker size. ;) -JOB done and problem.solved.Having this little dropper in place means that when you cast, the dropper has a pendulum effect and swings your sinker forward in the same direction as the heavy live bait :) You can cast a long way accurately and use whatever weight you consider necessary. Yet you still get the same benefits of the running rig cos the fish can't feel the FULL sinker weight when it takes off, unlike a paternoster. Also the dropper means that any current will lift a dead bait up nicely off the bottom like with a paternoster will, ;)I use this rig for all my heavy line fishing, it is very good and first cast will pleasantly surprise you bud ;)
Having this little dropper in place means that when you cast' date=' the dropper has a pendulum effect and swings your sinker forward in the same direction as the heavy live bait :) You can cast a long way accurately and use whatever weight you consider necessary. Yet you still get the same benefits of the running rig cos the fish can't feel the FULL sinker weight when it takes off, unlike a paternoster. Also the dropper means that any current will lift a dead bait up nicely off the bottom like with a paternoster will, ;)I use this rig for all my heavy line fishing, it is very good and first cast will pleasantly surprise you bud ;)[/quote']Plus if ya get snagged you only lose the dropper/sinker and not the whole rig.
Having this little dropper in place means that when you cast' date=' the dropper has a pendulum effect and swings your sinker forward in the same direction as the heavy live bait :) You can cast a long way accurately and use whatever weight you consider necessary. Yet you still get the same benefits of the running rig cos the fish can't feel the FULL sinker weight when it takes off' date=' unlike a paternoster. Also the dropper means that any current will lift a dead bait up nicely off the bottom like with a paternoster will, ;)I use this rig for all my heavy line fishing, it is very good and first cast will pleasantly surprise you bud ;)[/quote'']Plus if ya get snagged you only lose the dropper/sinker and not the whole rig.
So true!