heat it up.. add salt.. RUB like buggery. heaps of hot water.. scrape it off.. using a paint scraper... and to re-season the plate.. heat it up. add oil. let it cool and soak up the oil.. i often add some seasonall salt to the oil.. even if it does nothing.. it smells good... ;)well thats what i do anyways..

If it's been sitting for a long time, my guess would be that rust and dirt is the big issue.For this I'd be hitting it with the wire brush to remove as much as possible, giving it a good wash down afterwards, then replace the hotplate and heat the thing up.Give it a good smearing with oil and wipe it all down again with newspaper.Repeat the oiling and wiping a few times until there is no more rust appearing on the newspaper.After this keep it covered with a light layer of oil to prevent rust, and then use the thing more often! Each time you use it, it should only need to be heated and then wiped with a piece of paper, before it's ready to use.Clean it with a scraper and paper after use, and always finish with a light smear of oil.

Heat up, let cool, rub off excess oils/fats, heat up , let cool.Now the fun bit, get a scouring pad disc for your angle grinder, and put salt on the cool plate and let rip.....cleans it all up, removes rustthen re-heat plate , apply cooking oil ( prefer the old "LARD") if you can get it, let that soak in, cool then just wipe excess off, then ready for anything..