5AA DISCUSSION ON MARINE PARKS

I missed some of the discussion with a professor this morning but what I caught was -marine parks & no fish zones basically dont do anything as there have been 429 introduced species into Aust waters and NO losses to extinction.The worst problems are urban pollution, pests brought in by shipping ballast water and live imports of exotic speciesLand parks are different because this is to stop strip clearing of the habitat of animals/birds etc for farming/development etc and there has been 49 species of animals/mammals & birds lost.FISHING DOESNT REQUIRE CLEARING OF HABITATShope some of you fishos heard more & can updatethanx Andrew

• 3 weeks later...

All this talk about marine parks and what good they are going to do in preserving fish stocks for the future,and how the recreational fishos have to be accountable for, and helping to matain fish stocks by not taking under size fish, and by looking after the environment,all well and good i say,BUT when i see shows on tv that show trawlers bringing in tons of fish that have a large by catch which is often notcommercialy useful being tossed back dead and or dying and scouring the bottom clean of weed other things with thier netts that the fish call home i some how tend to think that we amatuer fishos are being taken for a ride. IF THIS GOVERMENT AND ANY OTHER FUTURE GOVERMENT is serious about conservation they should be looking at where the problem realy lies and it is not with amatuer fishos.The amount of fish that they catch cannot posibly amount to the type of problems that the do gooders of this world are talking about.It is like they are to frighten to point the finger in the right direction .

To further this discussuion on marine parks restrictions and no fishing zones, it now appears that there could be a deal being done between Norway and Australia to allow a norwegian fishing vessel to enter Australian waters and fish in some of the otherwise restricted areas.This topic was apparently om the Leon Viner radio talk back show yesterday [tuesday].I did not hear the conversation myself but was told about it.If anyone out heard the show could you please confirm it one way or the other thanks Chris. :unsure::unsure::unsure:

Channel 10 news 6pm [ 13' date=6,2012] last night,apparently working between NSW and WA.did not say how far out or whether it is in marine parks or close to them. CHRIS :c

Close in or further out, fish resources are a finite thing, and Im sure you'd realise at least soemthing of how the food chain works.Any interference in it has a ripple effect

I think it would be more than a ripple affect,surely the powers that be must know this,all jokes aside they cant be that dumb. I tend to think there is a lot more going on than they want us to know about.I cant get my head around the fact that on one hand they are introducing all these marine parks australia wide to protect fish stocks and then allow super trawlers in to virtualy take what they want.Maybe im stupid or dumb or both but something sure as hell dont smell right to me, anyhow thats my thoughts Cheers Chris :c :c :c

I had a little look at the fast facts pdf and the proposed marine park locations... although the marine parks tend to take up a lot of area it says we are still allowed to fish within them and that only a small section of the marine parks will be a sanctury? Ofcourse maybe that's the governments way to get people (such as myself) onside just to stick the knife in when we turn our backs and have larger sancturies than first proposed - but if thats not the case these Marine Parks can only be a good thing right?I'm sure its not that simple so I'll await some spray :)Mark.