Yeah, 5 in the last 10 months.I knew the second to last one (Peter Kurmann) but not very well.With all due respect to the victims though, they are in the sharks habitat and they are only doing what comes natural. There are a lot of people over here wanting to cull them and while I understand (but dont support)their point of view, i dont think that's the answer.Lets hope Fisheries dont come up with a beauty like not being allowed to use red meat for crabs :S :S :S :S :S

From the SA RecFishing Guide;Berleying is a method used to attract fish and is generally an accepted fishing practice. But, the use of certain berley specifically designed to attract sharks has the potential to endanger the lives of swimmers and divers in the same area.For this reason, blood, bone, meat, offal or the skin of an animal including birds may not be used as berley when fishing in marine waters of the State.[it should actually have an addendum of "when within 2 nautical miles of land", as per the Fisheries Regs. The anomaly is supposedly to be rectified with the issue of the next RecFishing Guide...]From the Regs themselves;(1) A person must not use blood, bone, meat, offal or skin of an animal as berley (otherwise than in a rock lobster pot or other fish trap) within 2 nautical miles... Note the rather confusing exception - can be used in a lobster pot, but only as berley as opposed to bait(?). And an inference that red meat for bait is okay? The very next part of the Regs seemingly introduces a little contradiction in relation to the last rule;(2) A person must not deposit or use in marine waters of the State the body, or part of the body, of a mammal or bird.???Back to the Guide;When baiting for crabs, you are permitted to use fish or fish based products only. It is illegal to use bone, meat, offal or the skin of an animal including birds.Pretty straightforward...but, a question for the more informed dudes.Where does it say one can`t use red meat for bait (as opposed to berley) when fishing for anything other than crabs?Or to put it another way, if Rule (2) above is the overarching requirement, why are crabs specifically mentioned at all?Or, slightly changing the question yet again - why have Rule (1) when Rule (2) gives the impression of being the overriding consideration? Unless it isn`t, not in the context of bait on a hook anyway...?Confused, I am...