Overhead reel for beach fishing?

hi mate,probably one of the best overhead casting reels for the beach or any landbased situation would be the shimano calcutta series.the tld 15 will do the job aswell if on a budget,i have noticed the tld 15s have been on sale lately at a few places.as for mono or braid it also depends on personal choice,both have advantages.alot of guys still prefer mono due to its abrasion resistance and forgiving nature.i have used braid myself but have been running 10ft casting leaders to help with a bit of stretch on the initial cast,cheers

Guest horses4courses

I like the old school ABU's in 7000 and 10,000 sizes..........had them for 30 odd years........with regular maintainance and TLC with last that again :) Like using mono on beaches that are "shell gritty" like Browns Beach and spots along Salt Creek.........if I know there's no reefy / rocky area,I like to use braid.A good tip for using braid on an overhead..........make sure your reel has a level wind system,or your fingers will shred in no time at all :ohmy:

Those Newells are great reels, used to know a few guys that used them for surf fishing, didn't know they stopped making them.I'm assuming you're bait fishing, and if you liked Newells then try the Daiwa SL-X series. I've got a two 50's and a 30 and they're fantastic reels. I think only the 50 size is sold here, other sizes need to be sourced from overseas. Great casters and smooth, strong waterproof drags, plus they handle the beach environment really well, had one fall in the wash once (poorly placed sand spike) and although I feared the worst when I opened the reel up barely anything had gotten inside.The TLD's are great reels, but much better suited to boat use. IMO, lever drags aren't as good casters as star drag reels and don't handle the beach environment as well either.For bait fishing in the surf I use mono as it handles the sometimes turbulent environment better, less problems with tangles and twisting, and better abrasion resistance. For lures I always use braid.Depending on where you are, we could get together sometime and you could try out my Daiwas and see how you like them.

I agree, do not use braid without a level wind on an overhead reel. Bad for your fingers.I too use ABU 7000s and a 9000. I have an ABU7000 that I bought 30 years ago. Still on its original level wind. Cost me $120 back then, made in Sweden obviously. I also use a TLD25 with 50lb mono and a 9ft LBG rod on occasion and am always surprised how well the TLD casts. If I want to fish with braid for whatever reason from the beach I use a spinning reel in the 6000 to 8000 range. I hate braid on the beach except for the times when there is absolutely no weed. If you are holding your rod then no worries, but don't put it in a rod holder as any slack when you hook some weed and you will lose most of your braid in an almighty tangle.