Shimano reel maintenance

Guest horses4courses

I've always used WD 40 / CRC as they are a water displacement agent,and not detrimental to mono lines.......never thought of it breaking down grease though :ohmy: ..........might have to dig deeper on this one.......

I've always used WD 40 / CRC as they are a water displacement agent' date='and not detrimental to mono lines.......never thought of it breaking down grease though :ohmy: ..........might have to dig deeper on this one.......[/quote']quote from shimano page
Do not use WD-40® or any degreaser, as it will cause premature wear and tear on the internal parts of your reel.
which makes me think that wd40 eats away the reel grease over time ??

Whilst I can understand shimano's view not to use WD 40 on the internals of the reel, i do like to spray the outside of my reels with inbox every now and then. This just puts a protective coating over the nooks and cranny's of the reel to hopefully keep out any salt.I especially like to inox the bail arm roller bearing as it exposed to the elements more so than the other bearings.

I've always used WD 40 / CRC as they are a water displacement agent' date='and not detrimental to mono lines.......never thought of it breaking down grease though :ohmy: ..........might have to dig deeper on this one.......[/quote']Same here never thought there was a problem with it :huh::huh: nicw

Guilty as charged. Mostly used to flush out the bearings etc then use reel oil and Ardent reel butter/grease. Like Nanman i use the ol' inox over the body and a drop of abu garcia reel oil on the bail arm bearing, reel grip etc, maybe every 6 months though, lazy i guess.Thanks heaps for the link 4tha.This site is killer. http://alantani.com/

Guest horses4courses

Whew,I can breathe easy now :) ..........I have never put it inside on the gears / crank case etc........just on the "outside"......thought maybe it might slip down the main shaft,past the spool and into the "guts"...........breathe again :P