First ever fly fish.... accidentally caught a fish

FINALLY got my 3wt fly set up together this week so I couldnt wait to get out and use it. Had a spare hour or two after work this arvo so I thought that rather than go and practice trying to cast the thing (the sensible thing given I have NEVER fly fished before)I would hit my local creek and try to see how many trees I could catch.I started off with a couple of different dry flies and managed to catch several trees, some bull-rushes, a rock, some dry grass and myself (mixed bag for sure). After being so succesfull with the dry I switched to the good-ole Woolly Bugger to see how many submerged logs, boulders and snags I could add to my tally.... just after releasing my PB waterlogged tree root I accidentally snagged a Redfin..... poor little bugger. Thankfully I managed to then hook a branch vertically above me that fought too well and damaged my furled leader, so I decided to trudge home before I injured any more innocent fish.Didnt manage to spot any of the bloody trout I usually see though.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I love the way reddies follow you with their eyes when you land them' date=' very cool little fish. Well done Nick.Cheers Dazz[/quote']Cheers Dazz, would have been nice to have christened the setup with a brownie but I think my poo casting and un-natural presentation meant that wasn't happening today :woohoo: As you can see, I didn't stretch to a txl-f as the tax man didn't like me quite that much ha ha, plus I thought I would destroy something cheap first and then buy something nicer when I have learnt a bit more about immovable objects and flimsy bits of carbon fibre ;) :evil:
Well done Bream ReaperWait til spring' date=' a caddis/adams parachute on a size 16 or so :woohoo:[/quote']Well stocked up already mate, can't wait! I have been spotting the brownies and a few rainbows a bit more regularly lately so can't wait for some surface action. It was really frustrating last year watching the trout smashing bugs off the top whilst ignoring my hb/sp's. :laugh: