Shark Identification required

Can anyone help me with an ID of this shark. Initially I thought it to be a gummy, but the head is too rounded the spots are the wrong colour and the tail was different to what I remember also. :-?Been a looong time since I caught a gummy. Seem to recall seeing something similar being called a cat shark is that right? :-/ Would make sense if it is as I usually only catch doggies on this spot and there were none there last night ::)Oh, sorry for picture quality, left camera at home so left with mobile phone which is crap at the best of times.The tail was a long slenger thing at the top, reminded me of a thresher, although not as extreem size=600http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/IjZgBGln__unidentified_shark.JPG[/img]

did have a single or double dorsal fin?because the seven gilled shark aka cow shark,broad snouted shark,ground shark,Tasmania tiger shark.these have a long slender top tail as wellmy book readsthe seven gilled shark is a primitive species easily identified by its single dorsal fin.set well back and the seven gill slits. the head is broad and the mouth has an unusual upper lip. the colour is grey with scattered darker grey spots and white spots.??Cheers Ian

Hadnt thought about a seven gill. Have heard of them being caught out much further than I was, but didnt thing to check. Initially, I thought it didnt have teeth but on acloser inspection it did indeed have teeth all be it angled backwards and small.There was just one dorsal fin set well back along the body, perhaps as far back as its anus.Ok just checked same thread on the other site and posted there is a much better picture of a specimen that very much resemebles my capture. So it would look as though the shark I caught last night was a seven gill, all be it a small one. So last night wasnt a total loss, as now I can add seven gill shark to my list of captures

@coonta,A mate and i caught two of those 7 gills couple weeks back a couple k's out from stanvac. the fillets from them are in me freezer waitin to be consumed i hear there not bad eating ;D. hooked one that felt like it was of considerable size but busted me off before we could see it :((anyone kno how big these grow)

• 2 weeks later...