Seemed like a good idea at the time!

I had this bright idea to make my own berley today so I could freeze it and have it for the future. My berley pot is a weighted one and I found some PVC that was wide enough and capped the ends to freeze it to shape.This is too easy! Well, now for mixing the shit up... Fish oil, bread crumbs, cat food, old pilchards and anything else I can find around the place to act as a filler was chucked in including weet-bix. Now where is that blender?? Oh shit! Now I'm in trouble. It was thrown out two years ago..so you see my pickle. This is going to be a messy night :sick: just might have to search for a second hand mincer in the future if I am to attempt to do this again. Nothing like squishing pilchards by hand. :c

Guest Red Bull

You can freeze your berley up in milk cartons as well.Simply score the sides of the carton (when frozen)before you put it into your berley pot.A slow and steady stream will go with the tide as it thaws,and then just a simple carton disposal later at home etc

I Got a second hand garden mucher,smashes anything frozen i can fit into it, cuts it up fine too! crabs shells, fish heads ect. Also i just use an okky strap with a spring clip that holds onto the handles off ya plastic shopping bags. (get the okky with the clips from 2 dollars shops)I already have the burly frozen inside the bag punch as many or less holes as you like. When empty grab the next bag, no mess no fuss. I have never had a bag break away yet. And a good way to use up all ya excess shopping bags :cheer:

haha this only works with floating burly set ups' date=' please dont try too sink a plastic bags in the ocean :lol: just didnt register you guys talking about bury bombs :whistle:[/quote']No worries Squid Lips. I'm interested in everyone's tips and tricks about fishing. As they say,' you never stop learning'. :clap:

Strangely I actually enjoy making my own berley, feels good to use your old baits etc instead of just tossing it all in the bin... One tip I have is don't use your chainsaw to slice up your frozen fish into blender sized portions... It still stinks! Also watch out for european wasps when doing it during the warmer months, they go crazy over it, even just a couple carp defrosting on the back lawn brings them out :(

375381_10150583742414673_808521573_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on the berley blocks I made for the pot. Went out off St Kilda yesterday to give them a try on the KGW's. I took out a mates son who has never been out before fishing off a boat. Well, popped the first bomb down and within ten minutes had a school of whiting arrive but were 26-29cm. Was looking very promising but the lad I took out decided he would add to the berley :sick: Poor bugger! So up anchor and back to the ramp I went :c The only issue I have with the berley was that it seemed to disperse too dam quickly, so ill have to change my ingredients around a bit or not process the stuff too much. Mick