new to fishing need some tips

I suggest you go down to your nearest waterway with only a deck chair. Sit and observe for about 4 or 5 hours every day for 2 weeks. Clear your mind off all thoughts and absorb your surroundings in. You have to smell and taste that sh!t. Observe the plant life, the water colour, the wind direction, the roughness of the water, what the birds are doing. Then I suggest you start researching fish spiecies in that particular type of waterway, (i.e. river, lake etc) Learn their feeding habits and aquired tastes. Only then will you be ready to make a trip to K-Mart to obtain your first lightsabre... I mean't fishing rod...

gidday terra lure,mate you don't say where you want to fish,do you have any fishing equipment,the way I changed from purely bait and setline fishing to haveing good quality equipment and a reasonable record on the board was I started reading various fishing magazines,watching tapeing and rewatching vidios,dvds,and asking serious fisherfolk ( not yobbos down the pub or at work )about everything fishing.As recently as two months ago I knew very little about Bream fishing until I joined strikehook ,the help and assistance i have recieved here (not to mention people i have now met and fished with)has been incredable, stick with it ,make it challenging,learn by asking Cheers peelipeeli 13 ;)

Sorry Yobbo :-[ No malice intended,I'm just hoping its yobbo by name only and not nature,next time i'm down your way i'll take you to the pub to appologize with a beer. cheers Peelipeeli 13

LOL, No worries mate, no offence taken, but I will take you up on the beer offer. ;)

As has been said young fella, you have to live and breathe fishing for awhile and then try and put all you have learned into practice over the next 12 months.Carp fishing is a good place to start as you can burley up an area and just wait for them to come along,this will help with getting your drag setting and knot tying up to scratch as they can test you out a bit.Then you can proceed to other species,i'd pick one then target them specifically until you get them consistantly then move on to others.The best tip i could give you is to use berley and if nothing happens after 1 hour move and try another spot. cheers brenton

A tip I can give is to watch the old locals who frequent your spot and watch what bait, line and rig they use and apply this to the targeted fish. This can help especially along many of the metro jetties. Another way is to specialize in a particular species such as bream or mullet, or whatever is available locally and learn much as you can about this fish and then apply tour techniques to other fish who have similar habits. The two steps helped me a lot especially when I was younger. Another way is to join a fishing club and another member will probably take you under their wing and help you out. If I missed anything else you wanted to know just give me shout and I will try to help ya out.

Hate to sound like a broken record young fella, but the club scene will have you climbing the fishing ladder of knowledge at a faster pace than you'll be able to cope with. ;DThe old heads have been there and done that but the young heads will go their own way.The choice is yours, we love to see the youngsters at SAFWAA and have an annual family day which is coming up shortly. We release rainbow trout in one of the dams and only the youngsters can fish for them on the day. Have you caught a trout yet? There are also fishing prizes for the boys and girls and we have a feast of a BBQ as well, with some premier fishing thrown in for the Mums and Dads.Good luck with your quest, but I'm not sure you need to take the advice from the Guru about a light sabre. :icon_e_biggrin: :icon_e_biggrin:Cheers, tonyb

would be happy to give u a few tips TL but need to be more specific with ya questions like where ya plan to go fishing what fish you want to target what homework you have done etc just remember alot of the blokes you are asking on this site have fished many hours and learnt the hard way to give you access to years of fishing experience to give you the best chance of catching that fish of a life time so put in the effort out there and enjoy the challenge first and im sure you will enjoy the thrill of catching it all by yourself,sticking to bag limits obeying the rules and respect for your piscatorial pals survival becomes more important when you get what fishing is really about not just a food source its what keeps me sane in an insane world! ah that felt good! :icon_e_smile: