Catch and Release.

I know we are getting smarter with our fishing, releasing that extra snapper, bream, or whatever else we chase.Watching a fishing show on fox, and they are pulling in some beautiful KG Whiting. One of our most treasured fish here in South Aus. Also one of our hardest to catch and manage. And that said, one of the best eating in the sea.So who releases a nice fat KG ? If anyone answered honestly i'd get a zip. No one in there right mind would catch and release a plump fat KG Whiting.But should we ? Just asking. :)

Yeah that's interesting mate, not really suited to catch and release, heres my opinion;Although they fight really, really well, I just about never target them. Strange. Im well into catch and release as im more into the challenge of catching fish, preferably light sport fish like Bream or salmon. Even snook. And of course try my luck on the medium sport like snapper and Mulloway.I only target tommies and gar and squid for bait, if I ever target KGW, all keepers will go home for a feed.Guess that's why I don't target carp much though either, because I they aren't suitable catch and release species ;)

The only reason i ask is because they are now considered a hard catch. For me a big snapper is easier to catch, and we all know about catch and release with a snapper.Netters have taken toll on Mr KG. So has the rec, likes of me and you. To look after this species, so my grandson can catch one. So do we look harder at this fish ? I dont know, i dont target them. As i said, putting it out there.

Ive caught some decent sized ones over 60cm at YP and i didnt throw them back(Probably should have tho)Its not very often you get to land KG's at that size, One fish filleted makes up for haif a dozen caught locally if ya can catch them!Last season all the YFW that were over 40cm were all full of eggs, so in that respect perhaps they should be released, it will only make the future of:fishing: better for the rest of the fishos out there

Yeah, i'll leave 'em for the commercial guys and pay 39 buck a kilo.I was looking through old posts here a few days back as i went gar fishing and got a nice feed, but i saw posts here where a guy at the markets (a s&H member) was saying how many thousands of kilos were coming in on a certain days...

Ive caught some decent sized ones over 60cm at YP and i didnt throw them back(Probably should have tho)Its not very often you get to land KG's at that size' date=' One fish filleted makes up for haif a dozen caught locally if ya can catch them!Last season all the YFW that were over 40cm were all full of eggs, so in that respect perhaps they should be released, it will only make the future of:fishing: better for the rest of the fishos out there[/quote']I agree last year the yfw were quite large and plump, I kept a few for a feed but let a lot go back because of the eggs but I wonder how many of these big breaders where taken last year and is this why we are seeing a lot less big schools this year

We have had a few KGW caught and released by SART Club members but due to the extremely low numbers of KGW tagged, we are yet to see a re-capture and are not sure if we will ever see one. There has also been quite a few tagged by ANSA members here in the state but most never get re-captured and it appears that there is an extremely low re-capture rate. It is unknown as to the reason of this.I guess one possibility is that by placing a tag in them, they then may be a more noticeable prey item for predators, but I dont think this would be the main reason for them not getting re-captured. I think its only a matter of time. I dont think there would be much known about their movements.

I haven't had much trouble finding KGW's for two years now.Bagged out on them just recently and catches of up to 20 fish consistent all year except for in between the winter/summer season runs. I would gestimate that out of 20 trips we may have come back 3 times with zero tingers in the esky?If the whiting are near the legal limit then use a rag when handling them off the hook and measuring them as this should aid in releasing with less harm to the fish.Like most things fishing it's all about knowledge.TB ;)