there is a bloke operating out of tassie who trades on ebay pretty sure he stands by his gear ,i have used ebay for a lot of stuff in fact i am selling the wasp bags on there now ,i have had some horrors but more good ,reels i would be wary of though and rods i had two snap on me but on the other hand i have a fantastic solid glass rod from there ,i think C.F.R. has some rods from there send him a pm see what he says . :)

if its not a household name don't buy it. i had a melaluka reel almost exploded on a snapper. few mates have pelagic reels but they are trash. i'd use a marado over them anyday. they look decent but the internals are crap. hardly hold drag and when under pressure the handle feels loose and comes loose. rods are a different matter i have a few pelagic and melaluka rods which i can't fault for the price.

If you're after mid to high range Shimano or diawa reels, I'd be looking at overseas websites instead of eBay. With our dollar being so strong against the yen, Japanese sites like plat would be worth a look. It's probably only the higher priced reels that are worth worrying about, as local shopping is a lot more competitive than it was 5-10 years ago.

Personally I dont liek ebay. Money leaves the country. I like to buy my tackle from my local store. the money stays locally. it keeps my mates employed. it keeps the store open. it makes warranty easier. I realise that internet sales only make up a small % of the retail market but it is just one of those things.I guess one thing to remember, if something appears to be good to be true, it probably is. Just becasue something comes from Japan doesnt mean it is good. for example, Yamaha B)

I took a gamble on a 2000 pelagic real.10 "S/S" (presuming super smooth) ball bearings, 5:1 gear ratio, holds about 120m of 8lb mono. It really SUCKS at throwing something under 1/8th of an ounce but for heavier lures it's surprisingly nice. It is a good reel to pop on a 9ft rod and walk a beach throwing lures for small salmon and snook.It would make an good reel for bait fishing but after having a fiddle with the drag it looks like if you put 2kg or more on anything that can pull hard it would just pop the wires that hold the disk.Really it compares to alot of jarvis walkers, just a little smoother and the drag isn't wuite as good. I have kind of labeled it redfin, mullet, St's, carp and tommies/gar.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to continue this thread ,i have a saratoga boat rod now although i cannot contest to briging any massive reds in with it, it has served me well some small flattys and reds and one flying carpet about 4 feet or more across pulled from the depths .I have had this rod for around 6 years now and it realy doesnt show any signs of cracking up ,i use it for troling and a static big rod ,dont know about the reels though if your going to use ebay look at the sellers feedback and comments from buyers even shoot them a message and ask them i do sometimes if i am not sure about something normally they will be honest ,thought i saw a pretty good combo in fshing wholesalers the other day for a boat road shakespear overhead and rod ,they stock ahuge range of rods and all quality reels if your down that way drop into there shop the guys are freindly and will help you in the right direction ,you never know you might find what you are looking for for just a bit more than on ebay .