Light gear, 7 foot(ish) rod, 2000 size reel, 4-8lb line depending on your ability and experience. Little to no weight, i fish with a small running sinker just in case it gets windy. Size 2-6 hooks depending on size of carp around. If fishing the river use 2-4. Bread works well for me, just squash it onto the hook until it forms a ball. Some prefer corn as bait. Worms, and fresh water shrimp work well especially for bigger carp. Leave the drag set really loose and wait paitently. Carp tend to suck on the bait for a while before hooking themselves. So dont strike too early at nibbles. Leave the drag set loose or the bail arm open or expect to lose your fair share of rods to bigger fish.Places like mawson lakes are a great place local to start.

just remember to take your carp with you or feed them to the pelicans. they do make excellent crab bait and berley. i know people who use the fillets for snapper bait. there's plenty of them biting in the torrens at the moment.i use a 250 size reel with 3lb braid and 6-8lb leader on a 1/4lb - 4lb rod. usually size 1 or size 2 suicide hook and fish with the bail arm open. even the small 60cm carp give a good fight on this kinda gear.64529_470730479631146_481977113_n.jpg

With me it depends where your fishing.In a REALLY snaggy backwater where you have to drag fish through a gap only a couple of feet wide, I like 10 pound it gives you strength but gives anything over 2kg fight pretty well.In the torrens, main Murray river channel and any kind of open water, I use a 1000 size real, 1-3kg rod and 6 pound line.For both, a ten pound leader straight to any hook is all, unless their is some serious current (rarely) I don't use a sinker.Ihave one really god rod holder, I set the drag to hit them, then they can peel line. This works well with circles especially. My other rod I put in my milk crate and free spool.

Personally I like to lay my rod down on ground, grass, wharf depending on where I am keep the line tight with as little weight as possible ( I'll wind it as tight as I can and then turn the spool by hand to get it very tight and straight ), stay along side the rod and watch for the tip to move ( I have worked out the perfect time to strike through years of practice[ started fishing for them aged 10 ] ) look for the tip to move a little more than just a twitch ( or the wind ), I have a very good strike rate to bites :) , I use a 1000 reel on a 2-4kg rod with 6lb braid and 8lb leader and I only use size 8 med shank straight hook (gets them almost every time ), after years or using bread and my custom made curry and caster sugar dough i have found sweet corn works just as well, stays on the hook longer and doesn't stick to your fingers like dough will, buy it in the small little cans and one can should last a whole session( keep the others floating in the car for next time :). Here's a photo of a very good day at the wharf ( goolwa ), if you look closely every one has a stabe mark on them ( my daughter has now been given the nick name miss stabby stabby :laugh: )

IMG_20120422_133733.jpg