The Daiwa generation black rods are really nice for the money, I've got the itchy twitchy and it's great for light hb's and sp's. They're about $150, no reason why you couldn't use the sienna and upgrade later if you want. I've got the new model symetre on my itchy twitchy, another great value for money item.

Shimano Ballistix rods are pretty dam good for there price... As for reels have a look at the Quantuam Accurist.. Have the same combo and love it.. Sits in my car for when i go for those last minute flicks and i dont mind thrashing this combo around...That or have a look at the samaki range of rods...

My opinion would be a shimano sedona fd matched to either a tcurve revolution inshore series or a shimano raider II mexican fire, I own both rods and a sedona and highly enjoy using all of them. The mexican fires have a cork grip and are wonderfully light so easy to cast around all day and not get tired and the tcurves are simply amazing rods.I have a 3-6kg tcurve for snapper on soft plastics and one night I went down the jetty and decided to take it down for ease of carrying, I had it matched to my 2500 sedona with 8lb braid and 9lb leader and put a float rig on for some tommies. Even with a bit of slack line out due to wind restrictions it was as if I could "feel" fish just thinking about having a bite at my bait. I'd love to see what a lighter version of the tcurve would be like.A sedona will run you 70 dollars from motackle while the mexican fires will run you 89 dollars.You can pick up a tcurve revolution for 139 which would put you 10 dollars above your price limit but in my opinion it would be well worth the money.You could pick up the tcurve and try for another sienna (although I haven't used one before so not sure if you wanted to change reels) but the sedona is beautiful and one of my favourite light line reels, beautifully smooth drag easy drag settings mine came with two spools so I can change line class easily and teamed with my tcurve I can spend all day casting without a single bit of fatigue due to how lightweight the set up is

Have a Shimano Catana estuary spin 662 3-5kg Matched with a sienna then upgraded to a Symetre . that will work well.Also have one with Symetre 2500fl with a shimano Jewel 682 spin 2-4kgThe Symetre reels i think are exceptional value for money. Cheers Damian

Hmmm, I have a daiwa gen black Drunkenmonkey with a Luvias, and the gen black is great. I'd go the extra $50 for a slightly better combo and go something like the blue exellor plus with a gen black. Had a t curve 1-3kg previous to this, but to sloppy. The gen black kills it!Also, if you can wait two or three months, the new model stuff will come out. The awesome symtre will be getting redone I think? Both brands are literally getting better stuff for the price each year!