NEWBIE QUESTION - Rod action

So go easy I'm new to this,I bought a cheap rod and reel to have a play but getting more interested as time goes by.I'm looking to catch a meal so whiting, squid, flathead would be what I'm after (land-based).Some internet research has shown that a parabolic rod (slow action?) is best for squid and whiting and perhaps a little on the longer side (7 foot minimum). Although I've also read contradictions, this seems the most common advice.Easy, I think to myself, I'll go to the manufacturers website and look up some rods with parabolic actions, find one that fits my budget and happy days.Not so easy it turns out. I struggled to find many websites at all (including retailers) that listed the nature of the rods action.It's quite possible that I'm missing something entirely here. If not, can someone offer advice, I'm after a spin rod with a parabolic action. My budget is around $100.

Tackle world has 20 percent off samaki rods.. i picked up my third samaki rod the other day the skitch is $100 now $80 with the discount.. there very good rods for the money and think youll struglle to find a better rod for the price.. probably the 4-8 lb will be perfect for you.. balances well with a 1000 - 2500 size reel

A rod's action refers to how far down the blank the rod will flex when initially loaded up, like when casting or working a lure. A fast action rod will only flex right near the tip, a medium (or moderate) rod will flex about halfway to the reel seat and slow action rods will flex right into the butt. There's also in-between ratings like moderate-fast, extra fast, etc. With the weight of a fish on the rods will of course flex further. Unfortunately, some rod companies do not list their rods' actions.I personally prefer a fast or mod. fast rod for squid as it allows the jig to be worked in a variety of ways, with a slower action rod it becomes difficult to give the jigs short, sharp jerks. Even for whiting I like a mod. fast to moderate action, the only time I have used a slow action rod is when fishing with extremely fragile baits in other parts of the world.For good quality rods around the $100 mark it's hard for me to go past the Dynamix rods sold at Ray and Annes, they're built on Shimano blanks but with better components. Best to go in and have a feel and tell them what you want the rod to do and let them point you in the right direction.

I personally prefer a fast or mod. fast rod for squid as it allows the jig to be worked in a variety of ways' date=' with a slower action rod it becomes difficult to give the jigs short, sharp jerks. [/quote']When I was a deckie fishing part time a hooking licence in the same areas that most of us recreational fishers catch squid all we used was handlines. All the jigs were very similar to what you can buy from Neptune now. No fancy colours or shapes etc. For a morning the catch was well over 100 kg for two fishers on a boat. I'm not sure whether those days have gone but I still bag out on those same Neptune jigs as before. As for a rod you can use a broomstick. Don't buy a specific squid rod FFS. Put out teasers instead.The expert fishers such as plankton ply their trade at heavily fished areas (I'm guessing) where the squid get spooked and a bit or a lot of knowledge is required. That is probably where the fancy squid catching techniques are required.

Are you after KGW or YFW?metro Adelaide or country?I still do a fair bit of landbased and jetty fishing and prefer a 10 1/2 foot light graphite rod, small threadline rod and light braid. A high quality 10 foot graphite rod is as light as a 7 foot glass rod but will cast a lot further which is a big advantage if casting light baits to whiting or casting out further for squid. It is also a huge advantage casting a float off a jetty for gar and tommies.There are a few options in the $100 price range. I fished with a pair of 9 foot starlostix for a while and caught plenty of good fish on them.

The expert fishers such as plankton ply their trade at heavily fished areas (I'm guessing) where the squid get spooked and a bit or a lot of knowledge is required. That is probably where the fancy squid catching techniques are required.

:lol::lol: That's the first time anyone has called me an expert, you've obviously never been fishing with me. :lol: Unfortunately I know a fair bit more about rods and gear and technical crap than I do about actually catching anything. :S You are correct about where I fish, as most of my squidding has been done from jetties or off the kayak in heavily fished areas like Seacliff. Usually I employ the old lift, drop, repeat method, but occasionally when things are slow I like to mix it up and sometimes that seems to work. Although the guys I see throwing a handline off each side of their tinny and then simply retrieving them after a few minutes always seem to be doing well. I think I prefer the rod as it makes the whole thing more fun for me.

Thanks all. Working backwards:Kelvin: Both KGW & YFW ideally. I caught a few YFW from Tennyson beach a few weeks back but all were undersize. Metro predominantly. I hadn't thought of such a long rod. I was thinking of having 2 rods. One for whiting/squid and one for lures at flathead (the one I have is supposed to be for soft plastics - shimano sonic pro). But from the replies, squid can be caught with anything so maybe I should be looking for a whiting rod and just go after squid with whatever. I'll have a look at longer rods. Thanks.Knackers: I'd be happy to catch 1 Kg. Point well taken, I'll give up the search for a dedicated squid rod. Thanks.Plankton: Thanks for the clear and marvelous advice. I should actually ask somebody in a store to supplement my late night internet addiction.Squid flaps: Point taken, I'll seek advice from the sales staff more often than I do.Pauly S: Cheers, I'd never heard of Samaki. I'll look into them.OK. In summary, there's no need to get a dedicated squid rod. However, I can still buy a whiting rod right? I do enjoy buying things from time to time. How does this look:http://www.jarviswalker.com.au/catalogue/fishing/rods/spinning-rods/gary-howard-estuary-light-surf-rods.html22001 or the longer 22005.

Thanks again.OK' date=' I'll head down the Ray Annes and have a look at the Dynamix and Ugly Stiks if they stock them. As well as ask for some advice there.One last question, Would the same rod not be suitable for both KGW and YFW?[/quote']Not sure how well they're stocked with Ugly Stiks, but they usually have heaps of Crystal Power Tip rods, which are very similar in construction to the Uglys and tough, good value rods.I have never personally fished for KGW, but from what I've read they're mostly a boat target (why I haven't chased any) where as YFW are more of a landbased fish. On a boat when dropping baits relatively straight down you would generally opt for a shorter rod, say 6-7', where as with YFW you need to cast further and it helps if you can cover a good sized area, so longer rods are more prefered. Also with KGW you might need a heavier sinker to get your bait down, so therefore a heavier rod, but with YFW you usually are only throwing pea sized sinkers or none at all. You could certainly catch both fish with the same rod given the proper circumstances though.