What does 'PE' mean?

just a quick question that might seem a bit amateur-ish but one that i am curious about...when u see a rod rated for "PE 3-5 lines"or something like that, "suitable for PE 10", what do they mean? is it just saying "30lb-50lb line", "suitable for 100lb"? I had a bit of a look around and it seemed that it was the Japanese way of rating lines? anyone able to shed some light on this for me?

yea righteo, thats a better website than i read AF, although along the same lines. so line diameter not breaking strain, not sure i like rod builders using that to rate their rods though, if the rod is suited to 30-50lb then say it, not this PE shit. what if i put PE5 on there that doesnt breaks at 86lb, like the line in the story, and my rod snaps because it is only rated to 50lb, does that mean they will replace the rod because i used the line they recommended? just seems to be a bit silly to me, rate the rod to its breaking strain not line diameter. you guys reckon or what?

yea righteo' date=' thats a better website than i read AF, although along the same lines. so line diameter not breaking strain, not sure i like rod builders using that to rate their rods though, if the rod is suited to 30-50lb then say it, not this PE shit. what if i put PE5 on there that doesnt breaks at 86lb, like the line in the story, and my rod snaps because it is only rated to 50lb, does that mean they will replace the rod because i used the line they recommended? just seems to be a bit silly to me, rate the rod to its breaking strain not line diameter. you guys reckon or what?[/quote']I concur totally.

I think you may well open up a whole new can of worms there too, w2bf...Unless you're specifically going to use IGFA-rated line all the time, I suspect you're probably going to get a wide variation in breaking strains depending on the line manufacturer - which tends to leave the rod manufacturers just a tad up the proverbial creek as well.Cheersaf

I think common sense comes into it. Fishing 86lb braid shouldn't break a pe5 rod. As long as you don't high stick it or fish stupidly high drag settings the rod should be fine.Ill add something else here, most Japanese rods with pe ratings usually state a maximum drag weight in their specs.

most Japanese rods with pe ratings usually state a maximum drag weight in their specs.

good point, i'll have a look at my rod and see if it has drag settings mentioned. It's not that i do fish overly large drag settings anyway, i prefer to thumb the spool, i nearly broke a rod on a ray once when i locked the drag and it did a big lunge, learnt my lesson
yea righteo' date=' thats a better website than i read AF, although along the same lines. so line diameter not breaking strain, not sure i like rod builders using that to rate their rods though, if the rod is suited to 30-50lb then say it, not this PE shit. what if i put PE5 on there that doesnt breaks at 86lb, like the line in the story, and my rod snaps because it is only rated to 50lb, does that mean they will replace the rod because i used the line they recommended? just seems to be a bit silly to me, rate the rod to its breaking strain not line diameter. you guys reckon or what?[/quote']
PE lines are rated in LB'S as well and even though PE is a line diametre measurement they are far more accurate ratings that normal or fused lines which are Test breaking strains that break well above their stated breaking strain.EG, PE .6 10lb breaks at 9-11 lb but mostly at the stated 10lb of pressureTest line 10lb breaks closer to 22lb-24lbHope that helps :)

I just prefer to have the breaking strain listed in lbs or kgs and the diameter as well. Allows for comparisons between lines, especially mono. But braids are a different beast, not too many break anywhere near their rated strength and then break really early for quick hits.Regardless of the breaking strain of the line, if you don't know when your rod is about to break or overloaded I don't think anybody can help you :blink: