beach reals for gummies and mullies

hey guys wen i fish salt creek and other beaches i use a 7000 with 30pound line and a penn slammer 950 with 30pound line, so far iv caught mullies, rays, gummies salmon etc on the 7000 and havnt had a chance yet wiv the slammer altho my mate hooked an eagly last time on his one..just wondering what other people use and other peoples opinions on these slamers on big mullies etc..

if ya can land an eagly on a penn slammer rod you can land just about anything including big jewies.theres a bloke in port augusta who has landed big kings on shit rods and an alvey reel.I beleive its nice to use quality gear and gear that looks the part ,but serious tho .shit gear can land fish just the same as good gear in most situations.For beach fishing i use calcutta 700s and a saltiga 30z and sabre surf rods.But an abu 700 and a penn slammer could land the same sort of fish as my gear.Brooksey if you can land a 50lb mully on ya light plastics rod you could almost skull drag a big jewie on your surf tackle

Guest Butters

I use a Pfluger Lithium5000 in the surf.. and a saltist50.. both reels have proved worthy on Eagles with ease.. I think you will be fine with the 7000.. and the penn will be perfect for the job too.. how much line did you get on the penn?

yeah hate the drag in 7000s :thumb: but you can cast a mile :icon_e_surprised:

If it's an older Abu it will have the crappy fiber drag washers, any water or oil on them and they usually lock right up which means busted off fish, you should be able to replace the washers with the new carcon matrix ones which now come standard in the new Abus, still not as good as a Penn drag but heaps better and a relatively cheap fix!

Brooksey, you should be able to get replacement parts for that reel, I've just come here from the US a month ago so I'm not very familiar with all the local tackle shops, but I'm sure there's one that stocks replacement Abu parts or a shop that's known for sevicing reels, someone else on the board might know or you can probably go to the Abu website and find out where the nearest service shop is located.

Hey Brooksey - cant go past the ABU's as a good beach reel - I use a 7000 with 20lb mono and a 9000CL with 25 lb - have landed huge eagles and bronzies and also some of those damn large weed lumps you get at Salt Creek - keep your 7000 well serviced and it will last for ages - both of my reels are 1990s models and have done a lot of serious work including casting in the surf at the mouth where they get submerged regularly - just remember to clean them well afterwards - I have got parts for the 9000cl in the past ex sydney but havent tried lately - remember, you can land most big stuff in the surf if you are patient and use the waves and rip to your advantage - 300m of line is a hell of a lot - let em swim out in clear water until they come to heelcheersFish Whisperer

• 2 months later...