Anchoring spot on.

i know a mate who has either milk cartons or bouys with set amounts of rope to a snapper lead.One set at 20ft,one at 25ft and so on...anyway while sounding around just throw over the bouy ( corresponding to the correcct depth your in )so you know where the exact mark is, then you can position yourself right on the drop instead of possible landing 20 metres by the time wind and tide has pushed you around...simple but i found it pretty clever {SMILIES_PATH}/cool.gif

]I do the same thing at Turton, get a brick with 25lb nylon, with a soft drink bottle attached, drop it in the measured depth, put one of these in 3 or 4 spots, with the bottle just slightly below the surface, then I go to each point i have marked on the GPS, all about 500 meters apart, then set the anchor and see if you can put the back of the boat as close to each bottle as you can, this way you can get to know the wind and tide movements and where you should be dropping your anchor to get on the mark.

• 5 months later...

Geez, I just came into this forum to post on correct anchoring techniques, coz a lot of anglers just can't anchor correctly! Seems you've beaten me off the mark!With the marker buoy system, when you're over your mark, toss out the buoy, but then DON'T look back at it again until your anchor is finally set and your boat has come to rest.After tossing the buoy, turn into the wind, motor away the required distance, drop anchor, let out line, allow the boat to come to rest, THEN look to see how far from the buoy you are!After doing this a few times, you'll no longer need to use a marker buoy, and you should come up on your mark 9 times out of 10.Here's an easier method though!Motor slowly to your mark with the "tracking" (dotted line) on your GPS on!As soon as you see the mark on your sounder, cut the power to the motor, and allow the boat to drift . Now motor back along the dotted line, straight over the mark and continue on that course.Drop the anchor the required distance away, allow the boat to come to rest, and you'll be right on the mark!When anchoring though, DON'T pull up on the mark! Pull up short of the mark, on the upwind/uptide side of the mark!Remember, when fish are stacked on structure, they AREN'T in feeding mode!You then burley up towards the mark to fire the fish up, draw them out from the structure and GET them into feeding mode!Also, when you're anchored on your mark, take note of your compass bearing. Write it down if necessary, coz each time you re-anchor on other drops, as long as the wind direction or tide doesn't change, that is the bearing you have to turn to when you are over the next mark wanting to anchor.Good fishing to all! {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif

• 9 months later...

This looks like an easy system to useDo you work in a shop stocking these finatic? I have had lots of trouble staying on a spot While fishing the boat will just decide to do a 360 flip so have to quickly bring in all lines? .anchor.I enjoy drift fishing and have strugled to get the boat to sit bow into wind. Even with a large sea anchor, I need to experiment more. Might be conbination of cabin canopy and ally tri hull! .boat.The boat is a big stable table to fish off even if it does sit side on to the waves in 15-20 kn

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another tip I was given recently - put your side clears up if you have a bimini.This acts as a tunnel and forces the boat more in line with the wind.This should stop as much swinging around.Our boat does do quite a "pendulum" when anchored.Each boat is different though some it may be limited affect on some.Turning your outboard around will lessen the pendulum affect as well - just a matter of trial and error.

GreAT Post guys ! I dont want to cause arguments here, but isnt Osprays method likely to end up with someones prop getting damaged ?

Sorry If I misled anyone, i did pick up the bottles after i had it worked out, I needed the 30cents
lol Ospray. I thouhjt it was worth clarifiying that 1 I just had visions of a few buoys sitting on top of or maybe even just under the water on a higher tide, with their lines just waiting to tangle up on a passing boats prop, particularly at night.Cheers AFF