No first-hand experience in the matter at hand, but im sure the 'Dynamix Beach Basher ' will get a few mentions.

Not plugging anyone for any particular reason but a Ray & Annes custom rod:

http://www.rayannes.com.au/daiwa-shimano-reels-australia/rods-reels/shimano/shimano-rods/shimano-rods-dynamix-beach-basher-12ft-surf-rod-139/

One i will most certainly have a look at next time im out that way.

Love some feedback from anyone who as given it a good 'bashing'.

Another question tho, what do you intend on targeting with the rod matched to your Penn?

Underpants thanks but the beach basher is sold out wont be instock for months and im haeding up to salties in 2 weeks targeting mullies sharks and rays and salmon with a smaller jarvis walker combo.

Dylbaa ive looked at the snyders they are a  bit out of my price range my budget is around the $150 mark ive got an old 12ft jarvis walker rod but its a bit beat up not sre how it would go if something decent grabs on thanks

Bugger, cant help you there then :( ,

I too have a shitty ol' JW rod (my initial surf combo) that i really dont like 'cause its a broom stick..

Also have the Prevail Surf 1202MH, at $179 a tad more than $150 tho! Havnt had the opportunity to hook anything decent on it yet either.

Alas a black hole in tne surf rod market here.

I bought one of the Penn Prevail 12ft overhead 15-24kg surf rods the other day as my mate has one and it looks the goods; put my TLD 25 on there an could cast a whole tommy with a 2oz sinker about 70-80 meters after about 3 practice casts.  Going fishing tomorrow, will let you guys know if I happen to hook something big on it and how it handles under the strain of a real fish.  

What about the ugly stick 'platinum' or 'gold' series rods?

Or the Silstar crystal tip series... From my experience in boat fishing they are both very reliable rods at a decent price

I have a crystal pro powertip surf rod that I still use, it's great

Unsure of the price of them these days, would have thought around $130 at a guess

Alas a black hole in tne surf rod market here.

I've been wondering for years why it's so hard to get a decent heavy surf rod here, especially considering the popularity of mully and shark fishing on high energy surf beaches and the need for a rod that can handle a 6oz sinker and good sized bait. I guess here in SA we're a pretty small market so companies don't feel the need to cater to us.

I bought one of the Penn Prevail 12ft overhead 15-24kg surf rods the other day as my mate has one and it looks the goods; put my TLD 25 on there an could cast a whole tommy with a 2oz sinker about 70-80 meters after about 3 practice casts.  Going fishing tomorrow, will let you guys know if I happen to hook something big on it and how it handles under the strain of a real fish.  

I like the feel of that rod, but for me casting an overhead the reel seat is way too close to the butt to be usable. I'm fairly impressed with you strapping a TLD 25 to that rod and getting some decent distance, that's a big reel for surf casting. Out of curiosty, what are you chasing with that setup?

What about the ugly stick 'platinum' or 'gold' series rods?

Or the Silstar crystal tip series... From my experience in boat fishing they are both very reliable rods at a decent price

I have a crystal pro powertip surf rod that I still use, it's great

Unsure of the price of them these days, would have thought around $130 at a guess

Those are good, sturdy surf rods and if I used threadlines I would have a good look at them myself. Not sure if they'll handle a bigger sinker and bait though.

Bottom line for Salt Creek, you want something that can cast a 6oz sinker and decent size bait like a squid head or slab of fish. The water moves sideways through the gutter rapidly and most days with anything less than 5-6oz you won't be able to hold bottom. Another tip is to use 20lb line rather than 30, the smaller diameter will create less drag and require less sinker weight, and that pound line will handle anything you'll catch there. Also, use grapnel sinkers for an extra bit of grip.

Good luck!

I like the feel of that rod, but for me casting an overhead the reel seat is way too close to the butt to be usable. I'm fairly impressed with you strapping a TLD 25 to that rod and getting some decent distance, that's a big reel for surf casting. Out of curiosty, what are you chasing with that setup?

I bought it with the sole intention of giving surf fishing for bigger things a serious crack; so taking it sharking up to Tennyson and around there next season off the beach (I don't have a kayak and don't want to piss about with paddling out baits), going mulloway fishing around the state, targeting the large eagle rays down Hallett Cove off the beach (I live there lol) etc....

I'm also in the look for a new surf rod and have many people mention the penn prevail probably get a 12ft to match penn spin fisher ssv 6500LL (can't wait to get this baby)

Think it's light enough to cast lures with for a while and then solid enough to hopefully land a mulloway/shark

My current surf rod is a silstar crystal tip 10ft 3' and I've had it for well over 10 years and it has caught some serious fish! can't fault this and it is light to walk the beaches casting lures

Hey dylzz, and other subject matter experts, just wondering (I don`t do a great deal of LB...) - my beach rod is currently a 10ft Silstar Crystal, the only designation I can find on it is PC-1002 RSM.

Seems a little "delicate" at the thin end, having said that a 50cm mully was a "meh, whatever" reaction from the rod, but I`m just intrigued as to what would be the realistic upper limit of beastie size with my Silstar?

(without being stupid and trying to pole in something big with the drag wound up of course!)

Mattyboy - Penn 950ssm, you said?

:)

I bought it with the sole intention of giving surf fishing for bigger things a serious crack; so taking it sharking up to Tennyson and around there next season off the beach (I don't have a kayak and don't want to piss about with paddling out baits), going mulloway fishing around the state, targeting the large eagle rays down Hallett Cove off the beach (I live there lol) etc....

I have a Daiwa Sealine X 50 for that sort of thing loaded with about 300m of 50lb braid topped off with around 150m of 40lb mono. I use a slidebait rig, so I cast out a heavy sinker (8oz grapnel) and let it get buried, then with a nice taut line I clip on the slide rig and send out the bait. A great setup that originated in South Africa, allows you to get great distance and use a bait that would be too big to cast effectively. Haven't caught anything substantial on it yet though.

G"day mate ,Mo tackle have a clearout on a quality line of rods the Supergraph range for 161....excact same as  Snyder [wilson and snyder the same blanks] the supergraph series is  a graphite composite  version,slightly stiffer but at the same time lighter to hold.

The supergraph heavy is the one that suits your needs.

Cheers :)

link 

http://www.motackle.com.au/supergraph-surf-3104080.html

G"day mate ,Mo tackle have a clearout on a quality line of rods the Supergraph range for 161....excact same as  Snyder [wilson and snyder the same blanks] the supergraph series is  a graphite composite  version,slightly stiffer but at the same time lighter to hold.

link 

link 

hey cal do you know of any stores that would have these?

would like to have a feel of one thanks