Kingfish live bait rigs?

Hey guys targeted kingfish the other day around rocky island, berleyed up hard caught some live slimy makeral and rigged them up wih an 85 lb fireline leader with a single 8/0 hook through the tail or mouth just let them drift around behind the boat. After about 20 minutes had our first hit, the reel started screaming took the rod out of the holder and strike, the hook pulled with ease. Cutting a long story short this happened about 5 times the hook was well exposed on the livie should I be using gang hooks? Tried some jigging but had no luck only a few really big blue throat wrasse, how do I rig gang home for live baits so I can keep them alive especially makeral as they die easily? Also should I be using bigger hooks for live baits 20 cm + long?

Try using 2 x 8/0's. Pin the live bait to the top hook just behind the head & leave the bottom hook dangling. If using live squid the bottom hook goes into the collar behind the head & the top hook right at the back of the tube. (You need to rig your hooks depending on the size of the squid so it swims freely). These are common methods for live but there are many others (ie: using a bait needle to hook live fish from the nose etc. etc.) 

Bottom hook dangling? Would it work one through the nose other through the tail if there where a bit of slack between the hooks so it could swim? Just thinking is the bottom hook going to do much dangling? I think the reason we where loosing fish is because the fish where taking the live baits on the opposite end of the hook as pulled a few half slimeys up

make sure the hook curve is away from the live bait, as it can turn back into it when a fish strikes resulting in no hook ups...

Also pin it just behind the head and on an angle not directly across the back of the head....... 

If you are good at bridling, try that.... and put the hook about 2 - 4" in front of the baits nose......

bridle rig.jpg

Some Video's

I usually snell up some 2 hook rigs at various lengths and keep them in the bad... depending on the size of the bait, use one that fits best. Usually put the leading hook thru the roof of the mouth (so the mouth can open) and the other one along the spine about half way down. ... but have to make sure you only lightly pin it or it will get parolized.... and clearly wont swim.

Yeah I think next time I will rig up with 2-3 hooks one around the tail one free around mid body and another through the mouth, at least that way it can't not get a hook in its mouth if it grab the fish, I was striking pretty hard do I need to? Is that a bad idea? Also using suicide hooks not circles should I use circles? Although I don't like circles find I don't get as many hook ups

How much line did you give them before striking... usually have to let them run for a bit so they can get the live bait down enough. Suicide or Circles each to your own pretty much, I rather circles, i have even started using them on smaller fish and having a better hook up rate.

Softy usually let them run for about 10 seconds as had rod in holder, 10 seconds was a heap of line though, reels where screening had a slight drag on but as soon as the strike came hooks kept getting spat or pulled out of the mouth pulled up a few half fish after the runs as well so I'm thinking several hooks will do the trick. I should perfect my method go buy a charter liscence and start running charters out of coffins haha in my boat could run them a lot cheaper than the other charters do lol. Would have to be like 3 ppl max though

I reckon it may be a case of them being touchy, in relevance weve all had times when YFW are picky,tommies ,bream you name it have been  picky and you really have to fish for them,and by that i mean read how they are  feeding at the bait.

Cant see why big Kingies would be no different,they may of been a bit off the bite,just mouthing it running a bit then spitting it,Mullies do it as do Snapper when they are in a finicky mood.

Maybe downsizing the trace and using a smaller hook would of  made a difference?Then giving them  some free line.

Not personally over experienced in  fishing for mega kings but  maybe the same old principles apply.

I remember my dad telling me of  Huge kings at rapid bay jetty back in the day...they wouldnt take anything ,but if someone threw an opened cockle   down they would cruise up and gently suck in.,anything with a hook in it they didnt wanna know.

Cheers :)

Bottom hook dangling? Would it work one through the nose other through the tail if there where a bit of slack between the hooks so it could swim? Just thinking is the bottom hook going to do much dangling? I think the reason we where loosing fish is because the fish where taking the live baits on the opposite end of the hook as pulled a few half slimeys up

The dangling hook is there so it can jag the fish on some occassions when they just mouth or kill the livie first and swim past the livie & may not come back for it again.  Works well with Mulloway who are renown for having a second or third go after stunning or killing the livie. Same with Kingies although I have found they are more aggresive when they hit. In deep water I only use mono line & in fact have changed all reels back to mono as for me I am more comfortable using this. Too many hooks in a livie will just kill the livie quicker & cause it to swim unnaturally in my opinion. I dont bother with fluro or braid & use mono right thru. Its much more forgiving I find.

Personally I let big fish run for a while & then when you can feel the weight strike hard then. Deep water fishing is somewaht different mainly because of the amount of line you have out & the curve of the line thats in the water. The strike needs to be more pronounced unless the fish has swolled the bait. 

Each to their own experiences.

Yeah was letting them run as usually had to wind my little rod I was catching bait with first, not sure about them mouthing it as was pullin up half slimey mackerels and when they where getting hit they where hit hard even with a slight drag reels where screaming was very strange it was as if they would Suss out the bait and grab the opposite end of the bait to the hook, had one take a dead bait as well so not too fussed about them dying on the hook just being very fresh