have you gone for a look down a beach or a jetty and seen someone katch a port jackson and then after gettin tha hooks out they have either choped off tha finsor stabbed it or something similar?? and then put it back.i seen this around 4 weeks back off semi! i said to tha guy why are you doing this?he said because ive caught too many of them.seriously real fisherman know that every fish in the ocean is there for a reason, not just too be caught. after fishing semi again 2nite i seen people taking undersized crabs.i confronted them and told them they are too small. they said who cares we want a feed mate. sit and think 4 a litle bit, are we gonna be able 2 catch fish in 20 years??i think the fisheries shood come down more strict towards fisherman. with the size limits but mainly the bag limits????most anglers who fish 4 life, respect the fish and respect our waterways and do the right thing but we all know who is killing the great fish in our waterways!!!!

These people are scum and they deserve the same treatment as they gave that shark, its sad they kill the dog of the sea, small harmless sharks that only made the mistake of taking the bait, all doggies should be released. About the crabs that sh!ts me cus I have seen it happen and this bloke got told off, yet he ignored the bloke telling him off, but me and my mate rang the fisheries and told them where he was and rego details of the van. Haven't seen him since.

They should also make it illegal to release fish ppl don't intend eating, like doggies. If they can prove they are going to eat it it should be ok as long as it aint undersize or over the bag limit. I think there is actually a fisheries law in use about releasing unwanted fish, not killing them and dumping them. if not contact the RSPCA cus they dont like uneccesary pain in animals...fish included.

Hey Benny, i beleive the RSPCA do not control or deal with fish. This was said to me by a person who deals with the RSPCA often.Also, i would like to say, as a young fisho, that it has to be encouraging to see so many other young guys here that are passionate about fishing and respecting the places we fish. Unfortunately, i beleive there are more young people who dont give a s*&% than responsible ones. I witnessed a youngen fishing by himself on Pt Hughes jetty, caught two Pt Jackson sharks (under 50cm) and threw them in the middle of the jetty. I dont know if he was bragging and showing his catch off, but when asked by others he was stating "You cant eat them, there crap fish, and ill just catch them again." It rerally surprised me to see a young man, who knew something about fishing, to be so disrespectful. I threw them back in and almost threw him in too.

i was fishing a spot tonight when the wind suddenly blew up. the person fishing near us packed up and left, so we moved to where he was because the wind was not so strong there. anyway, when we'd put all our gear down my dad found a dog shark in between rocks. it had been out of water for ages, and was turning a pinky reddy colour in its fins it also was bleeding in many spots. it appeared to be dead until my dad picked it up. it was moving slightly so he returned it into shallow waters and helped it to start breathing again. i know theyre such a pest of a shark, but still u cant help feeling sorry for the poor little fellas. some people sure can be :censored:

I think the fisheries shood come down more strict towards fisherman. with the size limits but mainly the bag limits?

Its nice to see the majority of the younger generation are seeing the reasons for having bag & size limits.Good on yah sideshowbob.Some people can't get through there thick skulls if they had only let that undersize fish grow that extra cm, it would of had the chance to spawn and keep the reproductive cycle going.That one fish could of been many many more. To me there only shooting themselves in the foot, in the long run.Hopefully the heavier fines that have been past, will persway a lot more to do the right thing when it comes to substaining our fisheries stock for future generations to come.Theres others that won't give a rats arse, and have already have prov-en it from last month for the taking of snapper in the closure period, we will soon see how deep there pockets really are & if it was worth it. .fishswim.Getting back to the Dog Shark..All Fish play a role of some sort and should be returned to the water in a safe and humane manner, doesn't matter how much of a pest they are to us, by getting on our line when we don't want them. (no excuse to lay into them)Even the dreaded puffa/blowie/toadie plays a role, yep even the blowie.I own up, as a kid I use to jump on them, not now. Exception to the aboveThe European Carp which is illegal to return to the water a live in SA. .fishswim.Trivia: They are now producing a drug called Tectin, that is derived from tetrodotoxin from the blowie and has been developed as a potent pain reliever. Administered in very small quantities it can bring relief to those suffering from intense chronic pain.Medical research has come a long way, even the sea cucumbers are being used.[/color]

All Fish play a role of some sort and should be returned to the water in a safe and humane manner, doesn't matter how much of a pest they are to us, by getting on our line when we don't want them. (no excuse to lay into them)Even the dreaded puffa/blowie/toadie plays a role, yep even the blowie.Exception to the aboveThe European Carp which is illegal to return to the water a live in SA.

And don't forget redfin!I need add no more! ;)

when the cuttlefish move away from rocks around whyalla the doggies move in to breed....our tally for one night? 57 dogsharks..... we started to throw them back, until we caught the same one that had my hooks still in it as to remove them would have prob killed the fish.so now we dont throw them back straight away...there is ALWAYS good sized rock pool nearby so thats where they go until we finished our trip, then they are returned to open sea if the tide is running out, but mostly they swim out themselves on the high tide.got to laugh though....they are stupid animals...swimming around the rock pool banging into each other and every rock in the place... they will even beach themselves, then frantically shake until they manage to turn around, then do exact the same thing next lap around.

• 3 weeks later...

i dont know about you guys but i would rather catch any fish than no fish and any fish im not adding to the dinner table or using for bait gets returned it not rocket science now is it one day when the irresponsible have over fished every other species they may to enjoy catching wat they now class as pests >:( >:(

This is a little bit of the track butas I'm a landbased angler, over 15 years of fishing i have not once seen a fisheries inspector within cooeee!And I'm not talking about secluded spots either, these are well known spots to the fishing community(hot water inlet,garden island walkway,west lakes,metro jetties,port river,the onk,not to mention all the jetties up yorks, the list could go on and on)Time and time again i see people taking undersized fish and getting away with it. The amount of calls I've made to fisheries with no result is amazing!Don't get me wrong they do a good job but are they that understaffed there is no one to patrol popular landbased spots and if so why isn't anything being done about it? Does the local government even give a toss? And for the ones that do get caught the penalties are way to soft, there should be no warnings with increased on the spot fines and all fishing gear confiscated and crushed. Maybe that will teach the :censored:!One Day!!

over 15 years of fishing i have not once seen a fisheries inspector within cooeee!

Interesting, coz I've met up and spoken with them many times around the local area, although I am aware they're understaffed!

for the ones that do get caught the penalties are way to soft, there should be no warnings with increased on the spot fines and all fishing gear confiscated and crushed.

I was watching the kiwi show "Coastwatch" the other night, where a rec fisher who'd exceeded his quota of Scallops (including undersized) received a $900 fine, $200 court costs, plus forfeited his boat to the crown, and I wondered why our penalties here did not match that, and why our authorities always seem to take the softline approach!

only once in 20 yr fishing the rocks have 2 fisheries bloke came up.... and they were complete assholes as well.... the power of the badge....now i do the right thing, throw undersize fish back, and even throw legal fish back. these 2 clowns started accusing us of fishing for squid in a protected area... all because we had a jig in our tackle bag... when it was pointed out to them that i also had a spare tyre in my friggin car and im also not using the jig in the same manner as im not using the spare tyre sort of made him backdown a tad...then he asked to see our measuring device for fish....no problem... i carry a 60cm piece of stick with me, it has a line cut into at the 38cm mark, so i can use on large and small snapper.heaps faster and easier than a tape measure...THIS DIDNT APPEAR TO BE GOOD ENOUGH FOR THEM....so he gets his tape measure out and using a piece of chalk he draws 2 lines on the rocks the legal limit for snapper...so my bro in law cheks his measurements with his tape measure and finds the 38cm as marked by the fisheries bloke, has missed a couple of mm when he drew the lines...we also pointed out to him that the tide was coming in, and when the chalk is washed away will he come back and remark it the correct distance and not a few mm short this time, or can he just use my stick which has the correct measurements on it??? then he starts all the crap about hindering an officer bullshit.... WE WERE JUST POINTING OUT WHAT BLIND FREDDY COULD SEE....WATER AND CHALK DONT MIX, AND IF HE CARED TO VERIFY MY STICK AGAINST HIS TAPE HE WOULD HAVE FOUND IT BE MARKED CORRECTLY...unlike this dipshit i CAN read a tape measure..5 HRS LATER WHEN WE LEFT THE SPOT, HE WAS WAITING FOR US ON THE HIGHWAY....he checked our catch, which were measured with my stick, and found to be well legal... JUST BECAUSE THEY HAVE A JOB TO DO DOESNT GIVE THEM THE RIGHT TO ABUSE THE BADGE....ive also had a few come up to me on the jetty, and a couple of times in dads boat.... these bloke were textbook professional... and the other 2 peanuts could take a leaf out of their books.

• 3 weeks later...