Yellowfin Fever(not Tuna)

Guest dabilda

G'day 1fish,Start fishing 2 hrs before high. YFW come in to feed on the worms, shellfish etc that have spent the day baking in the sun.Walk over the beach at low tide and look for the gutters, as those gutters fill the fish follow. While doing that is also a good opportunity to pump clickers or try for bungum worms for your bait later. You've already tasted a bit of sucess, jot down the conditions, tides etc as they were then and do the same on future trips, you'll soon start to see a pattern form. Successful trips will follow much more often.happy fishing.

hey tony b are you still allowed to use chicken breast under new laws ....not being smart real question .....cheers

yep, it's ok for hook bait carps, but a definite NO, NO, for burleying or crab netting! (try and tell some of the guys on the Jetties that tho')There's a post on here by "grumps" asking about beach fishing and it got a bit side tracked/hijacked, by me waffling on about how good "Chook" is as bait and one of the guys asked the same question as you and another one of the guys gave a link to a section of the "Fisheries" Regulations explaining it all.Being lazy by nature, I'd say have a look for it mate, if not, I'll be happy to hunt it down for you :icon_e_biggrin:Cheers, tonyb.

Damn those yellowfin taste yummy! Dont eat fish very often but those buggers taste great and put up a great fight on light line! As long as theres enough water to fill those shallow gutters the whiting will feed whether incoming,top of tide or out going. Sullys has produced some real thumpers for me and all of the bigger ones have been after sunset!! But if ya after some real big fin(40cm plus fish) ya cant beat the footbridge at mouth of Onk after dark on live clickers, was addicted to fishing for fin and didnt fish for anything else for months thats how much i rated the buggers!!! A great tip for cracking the fin successfully (besides using only live bungams and clickers)is they love a moving bait, so if things are a bit slow, start reeling in ya line with a few quick turns of the reel then stop for a couple of seconds then repeat again until its all the way in (if it makes it that far!!!) and if ya still dont get a touch they aint there! so keep moving till ya find em! Good luck. cheers Snake

Great tips there snake, strange how we can get addicted to chasing a particular species, even of fish which grow to such small sizes.I can empathise with your addiction, as I fed mine with mask/fins/snorkel on every metro beach and some Southern ones, including the Onka estuary and as far as Old Noarlunga.(picked my days)Quite amazing what can be seen and learnt in the fishes own habitat.By simply kicking sand with your fin in the Onka, small fish of all species will immediately swarm around to forage!!!Another thing which is overlooked by fishers is that fish will feed in shallow water, watch guys who know this and they just chip in the shallows and edges of gutters. I've had fish surge past my feet at night in a few inches of water,feeding!! And often, if you observe you will see fish riding a close in wave!!Must admit if YFW come my way it's more of a bonus as I don't specifically target them. However, everyone I've ever caught in my time here has been on "chook', still, if that's all I use for hookbait,then indeed, why wouldn't I?Cheers, tonyb

Curious Tony (only as I have never used it)... is the chicken cooked or raw ???May be a silly question to some but I have never heard of it.

I buy $10 of chicken Breast filletts and it nearly lasts a season 8)Cut lengthways into thin long broad strips, then slice the piece flat on a board to about a couple of mm thick long strips lengthways againThen cut horizontally to end up with hundreds of tiny 3mm cubes 8)I batch up my Kangaroo/curry/semolina mince into a ball big enough for one session along with a stack of the chook cubes and freeze 'em like that. (could have a dozen or so ready to go in the freezer)I can be off in minutes if the conditions are suitable 8)I use 3 snooded hooks, #10 Gamakatsu, tied with 15 to 20 lb line which is stiff enough to make these hooks stand off from the line so as to avoid tangles (Fish don't mind the thicker line either.)Tip, change all 3 hook baits each time you retrieve as these tiny baits quickly lose flavour. Don't be afraid to slowly retrieve either, those bottom feeders can't resist it.A small "star" sinker under the berley spring works for me tooCheers, Tony.