Illegal Onka "Cast Nets"...

Might be jumping the gun here Boys, but I was driving past the first bend upstream of the Onka Foot bridge (where the water is narrowed into a channel) at 2 pm today. There to my surprise, was a young guy fishing with a hand cast net such as is used in the tropics to catch small bait fish :o :oAs I had the Bride in the car for a day out, I wasn't up for a bit of confrontation so decided to get "Fisheries" on the mobile.As I didn't have the number on me :-[ I got the bride to use the Directory Enquiries on her mobile.Apparently a lady with a Kiwi accent had no record of "Fish Watch" on her Data base so decided that she could not help in any way ??? ???The moment was lost by now but I thought I might post, just in case this guy or others are commonly carrying out this practise :thumb:Cheers,tonyb.

Yep, illegal to take any Benthic (reef dwellers) of any species at any time out to a couple of metres depth past the low tide mark :police:You'd probably find if you looked closer at the "fishing' being done by these "Non Specific Races" that undersized abalone is their target mate. :thumb: Education is a fine device for prevention, but a visit from "Fisheries" would be a lot more useful in protecting our precious resources from these predators .hissy.Cheers, tonyb.

i guess wb if they banned sales in kmart for fishing gear then tackle shops could charge what they liked for rods and reels then .most jettys have the size limit boards on them and the rules and regs are on the counter at most tackle shops .maybe you guys could give one away whenever bait is sold ?cheers squidley

You said in Im that you were interested in my thoughts on this matter.You don't get into shooting, archery, boating or anything really before knowing the rules and regulations, fishing should be no different.When they come through the stores they are given fishing guides and size limit borchures, not to mention all the tips. I think this would be the way to go as ALL fishers that are new to the scene can be educated easily ;)

Gotta agree with your common sense approach WB, wish more people were in tune with the rules and regs. Everybody knows they are a bit of a pain, but, absolutely neccesary if we want our kids and theirs, to enjoy this fabulous resource we have in our state and indeed all Australia :fishing::boat: .boat. :fishing:Cheers, Tony.
Guest dabilda

You can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink..........You can give a person a book but can't make them read.Some people really just don't give a shit. All you can do is keep reporting anything you see and hope they get caught, but, even that won't stop alot of them.

Fantastic idea Snake, FREE of course 8) Who'd pay for the administration tho? :-\ :-\cheers, tonyb .

A fishing license would be the only bill I would be glad to pay if it could deter alot of the undesirables Tony, Having a system like purchasing a license for a year at a reasonable price to those avid anglers and for those who fish maybe ten days or less a year have a set fee per day which u purchase from a tackle store( kids under 15 exempt ) could be used to fund more officers to police illegal recreationl activities and make the chances of getting caught too high to risk! Again my personal opinion but cant think of anything else that would deter these activities. Like u said u wasnt up for a confrontation but people like u and me have to risk being abused by confronting these wankers!! Because i care about the future of our fisheries Im prepared to take the risk and if paying for a license can fund more officers to catch these morons in the act( not two weeks later after the damage is already done!)thats money well spent as far as im concerned.

Luv your ideas mate they would be great in a world filled with guys like yourself and WB and 99 percent of the blokes on here :fishing: 8)In the UK they have a ROD licence and on top of that, day ticket/season tickets for all manner of waters. Thousands of pounds for a few hundred metres of Scottish Salmon fishing stretches and that's annually.What this causes is a massive rift between the haves and the have nots and poaching is rife with all manner of fish and game being sold illegally to unscrupulous Hoteliers.It's so bad, fishery owners have to install anchored buoys laced with barbed wire to stop illegal drag netting on thier waters.Carp fishing is a massive recreational sport in the UK with secret locations and thousands spent on growing biggies.There has been a huge immigration of mid Europeans intent on stealing these Carp by any means because it is a traditional food!! Especially at Xmas.The UK Government recently formed a anti Carp Stealing Brigade carrying Handcuffs, extendable batons and wearing stab proof vests!! These mid Euro's have lived in fairly violent areas!I was fishing one of my favourite Trout reservoirs one day when a scuffle broke out on the bank when a Warden asked a guy for his permit. The Warden was on the ground taking a hiding, then the guy calmly walked off with his poached fish and rode off on his bicycle!!There would be a dozen anglers there and when one or two of us walked over to see if he was OK, his indignant comment was "Why didn't some one help me" One guy said "this is fun for us but we pay a lot of money for it,that's your job and we pay for that too, do you want us to get beaten up as well??? Wasn't a good day for the Warden and he'd have the same to look forward too!!My point in all this is that we generally have a good hard core of caring blokes in the recreational fishing sector and, and its a big and, we have fabulous, free fishing whereever and when ever we want in an amazing climate as well. But in every walk of life there are and always will be idiots who do thier best to spoil things for the caring majority.MY two penny worth.Cheers, tonyb.

Its not only the reef which suffers from predation by these people a year or so ago a mate of mine who lives in adelaide went to torrens island fishing and saw a whole family of them catching small bream etc only a few inches long as soon as they were landed it was off to mum to get them minced up straight away.NO EVIDENCE.I believe they knew exactly what they were doing.

wish some of those mid europeans would come over and steal some of our carp lol.

You might not believe it mate, but some entrepeneurs in Aus. have tried to export big Carp to Pommyland to make a quick buck :o :oThey did thier homework and had the guys in the UK :P :P :PAussie Authority's wouldn't grant an export licence ::):o :oCheers, tonyb.

I saw a couple of blokes fishing today, who showed me their catch, one fish would have been on legal but one was tiny! I really think education is the key as I could tell these blokes had no clue... didnt wanna confront them as I could tell they would probably come onto me (rough people)

Speaking of illegal activity was at Sullies boat ramp the other arvo with Mrs 1fish, there was a group of people there wont specify race but they were collecting all the snails and winkles off the rocks is it illegal

might be legaldepends on where the the rocks areif at the ramp its a man made stucture so its legal
  • 3 weeks later...

I live just near the onk in Porties south, the cast nets are not the only problem. Of late some people have been caught setting nets in there. Something like 10 nets have been found and removed but people are still doing it. They will hammer all the small bream and also the mullies that frequent the river