Sharks & Chicken

I dunno if anyone else saw the program last night."The Senses" on BBC Knowledge channel on Foxtel.The presenter was discussing the sense of taste.He was in the sea with another guy who had a bag of fish heads and chicken.Sharks swarming all over him - he pops out the fish heads and they are gone in seconds.Then he holds up a full raw chicken,sharks took it but spat it out.Because the taste is somewhat alien to them they don't trust it.Interesting viewing after the media hype :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Always puzzled the Cr*p out of me these bait/berleying restrictions imposed by the Government via the Fisheries department ??? :-\I always thought a hungry shark is totally un-particular what it chomps down on, be it Fish or meat, INCLUDING, the odd human or two!!!I liked the comment on ABC radio the other day by a guy out fishing for Gar, who bought into the Shark Netting controversy 8)He said "I have an understanding with the Sharks, I don't go in thier water and they don't go in my Boat" :icon_e_biggrin: :icon_e_biggrin:Cheers, tonyb.

I have always, where possible, used feral pigeons for crab bait. One bird is good for at least twenty crabs, sometimes as many as fifty. My actions help to rid us of the filthy "flying rats" that compete with our native birds for food, water and nesting space. When I can't get feral pigeons then I use chicken necks threaded on to the clip like beads on a necklace. The crabs have fun trying to get these off and thus hang on so that I can haul them in. In my fifty five years of crabbing I have never witnessed a shark come anywhere near my crab nets. I have tried chook for fishing bait on various occasions and never had a bite, never seen a shark all day, changed bait to a fresh Salmon and BANG! a bronzie within minutes. As long as we have Fisheries Dept personel and Ministers with there hands in the pockets of Pro fishermen then we will get bullcrap legislation like this.RogerG

Noticed in the Sunday mail today 4-5 letters on the subject.Crabbers are not my favourite persons being forced to move a few times because they think they own the jetty but of course there are the good guys and the bad and the bad desperately need to clean up their act. Crabbers are now not allowed to use chicken carcasses and believe meat offal in crab nets, yet those fishing for sharks can use hunks of fish for bait ?? I presume !!Question: which would be more attractive to sharks, chook or fish ??On the other hand I have no probs with chook and meat being banned, because the number of times I seen the crap left behind is unreal, to lazy to take it home and dispose off or even depositing it in the bins provided on jetties.Just imagen you are near a jetty as a tourist, you go for a walk and have to dodge the stinking stuf, certainly would not get 10/10 on any report card.Also I am in Port enfield council and at least last year there was a council guy cleaning up the Sema4 jetty ( probably same for Largs) at least 3 times a week because of crap left behind.No sure as to how many but think a good percentage would not live in port council area so why would ratepayers have to pay to clean up their mess ? your kilometers may vary.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...