Spear fishing locations?

Howdy all..Do your home work first guys on where you can and can't spear fish.From memory only ( please check for your self ) It's from Outer Harbour to Onk Mouth South you have to be 400mtrs out. Obviously there are some areas which are still a no go like Aldinga reef and horse shoe reef but there is still some great areas.Depending on your lungs, try Rapid bay jetty for one, the bluff, horseshoe bay, Myponga, Cape Jervis... the list goes on. In deep water try a few wrecks and the like for some snapper.Please don't just spear anything for the sake of it though. I have seen it so many times, you just have to remember that size and bag limits still apply. You have to be very sure of what you spear as things really do look a lot bigger under water.Bit of advise also, If you are thinking about taking a few fish you need to think about what you are going to do with them once speared. We used to have 20ft of rope attached to a quick release clip of the weight belt and a float at the other end with a piece of wire hanging from that to feed the fish onto. Mr noah can gladly take that instead of me !!! Once had fish hanging off my weight belt and saw some teeth coming to investigate so never again !!!Good luck though, lots of fun.

Hey mate I wanna get into the spear a bit too ;D I know from old Yorke trips that Bluff Beach was great! You could get all sorts of fish big and small. plenty of huge Strongys there! I remember me dad got a king there too! heaps of rays, but I don't reckon they should be speared :thumb: I also shot my first fish there so I remember it well(it was a toady lol).

Brooksey just curious as to why you think rays should not be speared ?? I know heeaps of people here love to target them on massive game rods and the like with huge hooks and a few are used for shark baits or eating so why does it matter how they are caught ??? As I said mate, just curious... ??? ;)

• 12 years later...