I often get out for a fish and forget to take something to measure my catch with .I have often thought of having rulers printed on my rod some how and have been honestly thinking of getting a ruler tatooed onto my self or getting tatts of legal fish to compare my catch to.on my last trip to yorkes a mate showed me how he meausures with his hand and i have now measured my handspace between thumb and first finger 19cm thumb and second finger 21thumb and pinky 23now i dont have an excuse for new tatts .hissy. or undersized fishcheers justin :fishing:

I have measuring marks on several of my rods and usually add some more whenever I do binding repairs.The mark and numbering are done with a gold pen and this is then covered with left over epoxy to make it last.The zero mark is close to the butt then it's a case of deciding how many marks you want and in what range. On my 8' spin rod I have the first at 20cm and each cm is marked up to 30. The 25 mark is larger than the single cm divisions. Above that it is every 5cm with the multiples of 10 being larger and numbered - similar to a ruler.The trouble with the gold pens is that the epoxy dissolves the paint so you need to either dab the epoxy on carefully (doesn't work very well usually) or seal it with a spray on lacquer eg estapol, cheap hair spray or something similar. I recommend masking around the numbers with tape while spraying - you want it to only be on the numbers. If anyone finds a type of gold or silver gel pen that resists epoxy please let me know. Stick on lettering would probably be even better but I haven't found any label makers that do gold on black.Of course you still need to remember the limits but at least you always have a ruler. 8)

I have a ruler on my tackle box aswell but when im fishing i can wonder a little and dont like walking back to my tackle box with a live fish atleast with a quick check with my hand tells me if its legal or not so i can chuck it back quicklyI tend to let things go if im a little unsure so generaly the fish i keep are a little bit over legal I feel its better to keep the bigger ones anyway [easier to clean}

I made mine from PVC tube cut in half.Top one is mainly for gar, bottom goes out the hole till top of mouth hits the stop.Bottom one is for bigger stuf like salmon.Once they are in the pvc tube they seem to settle down a bit and are easier to measure.markings on big one are 21 cm, 23 cm, 24 cm and to the string is 30 cmFor KG's I have another one providing I ever catch any. size=1024http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/Ybivhn43__measure.jpg[/img]

i think i get that idea i guess i could hang something like that of my beltI am thinking of marking a rodi have a blue light rod i use for most beach fishing and the epoxy is starting to peel i may sand back and put some marks on does permanent black marker rub of with the clear coateI have seen interesting thread wraps on rods I wouldnt minddoing some fancy wrapping with measures on it might be a winter job once the light fishing slows a bitcheers for your ideas

• 3 months later...
pescados wrote:

I made mine from PVC tube cut in half.Top one is mainly for gar, bottom goes out the hole till top of mouth hits the stop.Bottom one is for bigger stuf like salmon.Once they are in the pvc tube they seem to settle down a bit and are easier to measure.markings on big one are 21 cm, 23 cm, 24 cm and to the string is 30 cmFor KG's I have another one providing I ever catch any. size=1024http://www.strikehook.com/images/attachments/Ybivhn43__measure.jpg[/img]

we use a similar thing in the boat, cept its a full tube, with just a scollop out of the end... slide the whiting in until it hits the cap on the bottom, and if his tail is hanging over the edge, hes legal.

when i fish the shore, i have a piece of dowel...well i DID have a peice of dowel, until i snapped it.so now i have a piece of 12mm plastic cinduit... its 60cm ling, the legal length of a large snapper, with some elect tape at the 38cm mark for small snapper...i use different colour tapes, for whiting, salmon,etc etc...i normally leave it in the bucket, but i have tied a bit of string around it once when i was wading the shallows of the beach for silvers... easy to use, lay it along the fish, and throw the fish back if U/S.