Braid on my 2500 size reel

On 22/12/2023 at 12:31 PM, Wert said:

Load up the braid first, tie on the backing and fill to the spool's capacity then reverse it, can't go wrong this way.

It shouldn't take too long either and this way you get it perfect first go.

What Wert said.

It's not hard and is a useful skill. After a couple of seasons, you can reverse the line again to so you get "new" braid on your reel. If you have a few reels (I currently have 6) it's worth learning. There are loads of videos showing ways to make it an easy process.

1 hour ago, MAH said:

What Wert said.

It's not hard and is a useful skill. After a couple of seasons, you can reverse the line again to so you get "new" braid on your reel. If you have a few reels (I currently have 6) it's worth learning. There are loads of videos showing ways to make it an easy process.

This exactly, it also works if you lose a bit of line for topping it back up and assuming you don't lose much line and do the bulk of your fishing pretty close (or from a boat) you can often get a 3rd and even 4th refresh by cutting away the worn used section and topping up.

I use expensive 8+ carrier smooth and skinny braid but doing this makes it last forever and it has proven cheaper than back in my mono days over the long run barring mishaps.

Honestly if you plan on fishing long term I'd recommend learning how to do everything yourself from snelling hooks and doing up your own rigs to rod and reel maintenance, you'll save a fortune, it's satisfying and it can save a trip even.

On 22/12/2023 at 12:31 PM, Wert said:

Load up the braid first, tie on the backing and fill to the spool's capacity then reverse it, can't go wrong this way.

It shouldn't take too long either and this way you get it perfect first go.

Getting my head around that :35_thinking:

For this to work accurately, you will need 2 spools of exact same size and capacity. (good idea BTW)

Or is there something I am missing?

3 hours ago, Des said:

For this to work accurately, you will need 2 spools of exact same size and capacity. (good idea BTW)

No need to match capacity you only need "enough" capacity (so having a much bigger spool for the reversing is fine) because the line will all end up on the reel you are spooling up in the end anyway. 

I assume you're thinking 2 extra fishing reels which would work if you have them, especially if you have overheads which would reduce twist but I just use 2 handlines myself.

It's one for the line off the reel, the second to reverse it then you wind off that one back onto the reel, I use a pencil float/screwdriver/pen or similar held by my toes as a kind of axle to hold the handline or spool for winding onto the reel and tensioning the line, a bit of a weird approach I guess but it's just what I've done for forever.

Make sure that if you do it like this that you do the tensioning of the spool on a piece of cardboard or something or your missus will kill you for burning holes in the flooring (or one time the couch...).

You can also devise arrangements with power drills and old line spools for the reversing part and use line tensioning devices to hold the spool you're winding from, honestly this kind of arrangement is not a bad idea and works well enough, I have given it a go in the past but it does involve a bit of faffing about and at the end of the day I don't think it saves much time on my very little equipment required method if you're handy with a handline.

I do this fairly regularly because I'm fussy about always having the spool properly full, it's best for the efficiency of the reel's operation and also just nice, if I have maintained gear and neat knots and rigs I just enjoy fishing so much more, it's like an OCD thing for me.

4 hours ago, Des said:

Oh wait,  I just worked out what you meant almost immediately after submitting my long winded response above.

Yes, what you say is correct and I actually do just this on the one reel I have with a spare spool, well actually it's 2 reels I have which are the same plus a spare spool which I was able to acquire without the outrageous cost of spare spools these days (remember when reels just came with spare spools?).

For these reels full line changes are a pleasure, being able to play musical spools makes the process so much easier, top ups and reversals etc however still needs some variation on the 2 spool method.

For example if your line is a bit low, say from a bust off but you've still got plenty of braid left overall and it's still fresh you'll fill the spool to the brim with your chosen backing on top of the braid, wind this off onto a handline, wind the braid  and existing backing onto the other handline then respool with the top up backing then put the original backing+braid back on.

A couple of handlines, some mono backing and a bit of imagination can make a length of braid go a very long way.

1 minute ago, Wert said:

Oh wait,  I just worked out what you meant almost immediately after submitting my long winded response above.

Yes, what you say is correct and I actually do just this on the one reel I have with a spare spool, well actually it's 2 reels I have which are the same plus a spare spool which I was able to acquire without the outrageous cost of spare spools these days (remember when reels just came with spare spools?).

For these reels full line changes are a pleasure, being able to play musical spools makes the process so much easier, top ups and reversals etc however still needs some variation on the 2 spool method.

For example if your line is a bit low, say from a bust off but you've still got plenty of braid left overall and it's still fresh you'll fill the spool to the brim with your chosen backing on top of the braid, wind this off onto a handline, wind the braid  and existing backing onto the other handline then respool with the top up backing then put the original backing+braid back on.

A couple of handlines, some mono backing and a bit of imagination can make a length of braid go a very long way.

:8_laughing: I was just about to explain

4 minutes ago, Wert said:

I previously got the tackle shops to do this for me. But with the increasing cost of quality braid these days I have started to source my braid elsewhere. And yes, I am topping up the backing as I shed/use up the braid above.

I have been struggling and guessing so far.  This will definitely help. It will be easy for the reels that have spare spools and the multiple reels of the same size/model.

Thanks. Cheers, Des

image.png.0740a6ed214184829d439dc5888c287c.png

You can buy gadgets like this from Aliexpress for under $50.

1. Fill reel/spool with braid, then add required backing line to get perfect depth of line on your reel
  2. Reverse the process winding the line back onto the plastic spool (the backing line will be on the bottom)
  3. Use a second plastic spool to wind the line onto (the backing line will now be on top)
  4. Place this second spool onto the gadegt
  5. Wind  onto the reel/spool

Worth it when you have multiple reels.

On 27/12/2023 at 12:28 PM, MAH said:

image.png.0740a6ed214184829d439dc5888c287c.png

You can buy gadgets like this from Aliexpress for under $50.

1. Fill reel/spool with braid, then add required backing line to get perfect depth of line on your reel
  2. Reverse the process winding the line back onto the plastic spool (the backing line will be on the bottom)
  3. Use a second plastic spool to wind the line onto (the backing line will now be on top)
  4. Place this second spool onto the gadegt
  5. Wind  onto the reel/spool

Worth it when you have multiple reels.

Thanks MAH. :1311_thumbsup_tone2: I wasn't aware they were around ... with the winder attached. I will look into it.

Cheers, Des