a scare while cockling

Had some time on my hands today so headed to goolwa to grab some cockles. Put the wetsuit on and out i went. The cockles were out quite deep in about thigh high water. After about 45 mins i was standing up waiting for the water to washout when a shark 2.5 to 3 foot swam straight past. It was only about 2m away and scared the hell out of me. A good sign with the cockles though thousands of small ones every where. Hope the cockle fishery is on the mend.

had a close encounter myself some years ago cockling at goolwa, an eagle ray (not as heart pumping as a shark but got the adrenalin pumping abit) about 70kg decided to clean up the cockles that escaped me, i had flash go thru my head of a missing toe or finger. it hung around for about 30 mins while the tide came in, i was picking up those cockles at a much faster pace!!!!!

Just a little bronzie no doubt!Most swimmers would be surprised at how many are actually around, and how close they unknowingly swim with them!Bronzie's aren't normally known to be aggressive (unlike some of their close cousins-Bull Whalers), and they don't pose any real threat to us. I'm sure it would give ya quite a shock seein it close up though.

Sounds like Goolwa is the new go to spot for rays and sharks now ;)

Sounds like a one of those cockle gatherers would make an excellent live bait too :icon_lol:Tho' on second thoughts, that'd be a bit silly 'cos you wouldn't be able to get big enough hooks for that Benny :icon_e_biggrin: :icon_e_biggrin:

The thousands of small cockles dont mean the fisheries " On the mend " mate. Theyre all thats left after the "pillaging" !Definitely worth being careful out there though. Last time I was out there was a decent size eagle ray right next to me sucking up the extra cockles ! I barely saw it in the sandy wash either.