Not really sure on rod yet :) I'm buying a kayak soon and thinking of buying one of those Okuma Baidarka Kayak Rods because they float with a reel on it and i'm bound to drop it. I'm thinking it will be a multi-purpose reel so i'll end up getting more than one rod. Will most likely spool with 30lb mono. I will mainly use it on land but when i get the yak i'll hopefully use it a bit there too. Not so often off a boat I suppose. As I've said its still in progress but I'm just trying to work out if the reel would suit the above mentioned fish.

Hi StatesquiderI went though the same selection processI decided on TLD25 on a short stroker roller tip with 600M of 15kg Mono The TLD30 is a two speed, a bit of overkill on 15KgI do have two speed reels on my 24Kg and 37Kg gearThe TLD25 is much cheaper, less painfully when you lose it over the side.The TLD25 have a very good reputation as hard to break. I have been on Marlin boats in Cairns and they use TLD25 on 15Kg on marlin to 425 lb a good endorsement.I like solid glass short stroker roller tips rods, cheap and very hard to break. I think it is more sporting and more fun to have a lighter class outfit 15kg instead of 24kgLand based is ruff on gear sand, rocks, kids on jetties and getting stuff stolen a cheaper and less attractive outfit is a good plan

Cheers heaps bobC, I've looked everywhere for more info on the reels and I think I really need to go have a look in the shop. Stupidly I didn't realise the TLD30 had the same line capacity as the TLD25, I'm more than happy to get that reel now as its quite a bit cheaper. I couldn't imagine catching a 425lb marlin... The biggest thing i've ever caught is like a 20kg eaglie :) haha. I've never targeted big fish before but if this reel is the goods I'm sold. Thanks againNow to find a bargain....

i personally would not target anything larger than about 4ft. but in summer during the run of small bronzies, then i would like to try some light tackle sharkin.BTW i paid $499(i think) for the tyrnos 30 and TCurve tyrnos heavy rod. this was at tackleworld salisbury and i was during a sale i reckon

Hi StatesquiderThe Tyrnos 30 is another good optionTLD 25 Vs Tyrnos 30 Same ManufactureBoth single speedSame Line CapacityCost $259 to $349The Tyrnos is a stronger cast alum body but more expensiveYou don't brake the body on a reel very often! Weight 695gr to 1080gr Drag 8 Strike 10 Max to 7 Strike 15 MaxThe main difference is the gear ratio3.6:1 and 5.0:1The Tyrnos is a high speed reelThe Tyrnos has a very long crank handle which reduces the effective ratioThe TLD has a short crank handle which increases the effective ratioThe Tyrnos would be better on mullies and KingiesThe TLD would be better on Sharks and rays with is lower ratioTheir is not much in it The Tyrnos is a nicer looking reel but I would still recommend the cheaper, lighter, lower geared TLD25I don't own a Tyrnos 30 but I have nearly got one several times over years.I do own four TLD25 which I do use a lothttp://www.shimanofish.com.au/publish/content/global_fish/en/au/index/products/reels/conventional.html

• 1 month later...