line to suit 65kg setup?

Hi guys. I recently was given a 65 full roller game rod and reel and need to get some line for it but am unsure what the best weight and type to use on it. Am mainly going to use it for chasing big tuna. One mate said i should spool the reel with 120 lb braid but never run braid that big before. Any thoughts?? also what would be a good weight leader?

If you're going to use it for trolling or chunking for big tuna just fill it with 130lb mono, any of the top brands should be fine, I reckon the reel would hold a ridiculous amount of 120lb braid, more than you'd ever need, and it would be real expensive to fill as well.

Need a bit more information Make and model of rod & reel Rod type, bent butt, length. Type of boat Your size, weight and age.Fishing in a chair or stand upStyle of fishing planed trolling or chunkingThis line class is not commonly use in SAMost 60Kg/130lb Game outfits have be designed to run mono You should not use a chair rod as a stand up outfitYou need to be in top physical shape to fish 60kg line classDifferent terminal setup are used between trolling or chunking

Rod is a Lutador Ocean runner 198 stand up straight buttReel is a PELAGIC OMOTO ST80W-II LEVER DRAG Boat varies between who i go out with but the guys are all from Lincoln or streaky and are used to chasing big tuna.Im 6ft 100kg and 42, quite fit and pretty strong. Have good stamina from lots of shark fishing.fishing stand upboth trolling and chunking

Hi DrgrimThat outfit looks ideal for SBTI would put 600M of 37Kg/80lb Mono on it and go fishing I am a bit of an armchair expert at this time as I have not caught a SBT but I have been trying.I think I may have to go out on some charters to see how they do it. It still seems a bit redundant when you have your own boat and gear.Leaders: heavy for trolling, if you get bust offs on the leader go heaverlight for chunking if they get skidish go lighter even to the point of a single hook on the main line, with no terminal gear at all. You could also use 1200 yards of 130lb Jerry Brown line one Hollow Core with 100M of 60Kg Mono as a top shotLike the sword fisher men use in the USAI have been thinking of using it on my Tiagra 50WLRSA's but you have to get Jerry Brown from the USA

Guest SuperThahn

I personally think trying to lift that gear would be more effort than bringing the tuna in!Gear that heavy does not get used in SA well it hasnt since the catching of white pointers was prohibited. If i was you i would sell it and get a decent 24kg set up which still would not be sporting on SBTs down lincoln way as they really dont get over 30kg and are more likely to be around the 12-20kg mark.When i fish down there we only use from 6kg to 10kg and even then they only take about 10 min to land.

haha!! me and a couple of mates were gunna buy one of those reels from ebay, from memory the bidding started at 99c and had a reserve of about $60.. we were just gunna fill it up and hook it on to the back of the car and see if we could destroy it...Made the mistake of buying one of their rods once too. think that cost me $20 posted.

I have to reluctantly agree with some of the previous postsI have been chasing school SBT, and have been using my TLD25s not my big outfitsThe small school SBT 10-30Kg are on the shelf 150-600M deep heading east to the Pacific OceanThe Adult SBT 80-200Kg are off the shelf, 600M plus heading west to Indian Ocean to breedWhether you should be hunting breeders of an endangered specie is a moral decision you alone will have to make.The SBT breeder stocks have stabilized in number at 3-14% of original levels but taking one or two will not make any difference. The damage has already been done. I would like to catch at least one adult SBT before I die and and I am NOT going to put it back, its going on my wall and in my freezer.The current excepted world annual fishing limit is 12,000 tons, nearly 1,000,000 fish. Half of these fish 5,200 tons are from SAI am surprised the government has not baned recreation fishing of SBT, like they did for the other endanger species.The PELAGIC is a clone of a good reel, if they made a good rip off, it should be OKIf you have the money get the original, if not get the cheap reel but just get a reel.

Guest AC Hardfronts

Id go for 50 if u wanted 2 have some fun if u wanted 2 have fun and get him in after a while go for 80

??? ??? ??? ??? :-\I think if you after a cheeper reel, a TLD50 loaded with 24kg will give you a good chance at landing a monster tuna. Plenty have done it before and plenty will continue too.The Pelagic reels look like a good copy, But i wouldn't trust them. If they were the goods you would probably find them in tackles shops.