BLOODWORMERS be at attention SATURDAY JUNE 27

That's right, the annual Bloodworm run is about to start, as best my diary tells, this coming Saturday night, June 27th will be the start, Sunday & Monday also worth a go. Arm yourself with a Gar style net at least 4ft long, a couple of spotlights or decent torches, a thermos of coffee or Port & a boat stable enough to lean out of. Head to the outside bend of Port River opposite Sub base & head out to sea scooping & sorting as you go.Launching, I'd suggest Angas Inlet Boat Club as safe as anywhere.Finatic

Tako wrote:

Isn't the main run july and august?

There are 3 runs (June, July, Aug) and I've normally done best in July, except for 2007 when Aug had the best run.Last July I was a coupla days early (Sunday, which was 3 days after the first new moon), and struggled to get worms in numbers, whereas Finatic was on the mark (Tuesday), so I recon this year I'd be listening to him if were heading out!I've still got worms frozen from last year though, so I'm not gonna put in a long winters night again this year.
Ranger wrote:

Tako wrote:

Isn't the main run july and august?

There are 3 runs (June, July, Aug) and I've normally done best in July, except for 2007 when Aug had the best run.Last July I was a coupla days early (Sunday, which was 3 days after the first new moon), and struggled to get worms in numbers, whereas Finatic was on the mark (Tuesday), so I recon this year I'd be listening to him if were heading out!I've still got worms frozen from last year though, so I'm not gonna put in a long winters night again this year.
I'll probably be trying land based next month around the 27th, but might go have a look Saturday or Sunday night. I thought they didn't run here in the port in June, you learn something every day hey.

Anybody go??? By all accounts they have been slow, even the pro's are struggling.Oh well, it happens, sometimes they fire up in June albeit this year it appears not.Calendar yourselves in for Sunday night July 26th & Monday 27th, I should expect to see plenty from 8pm onwards.Landbased dab netters may want to try Outer Harbour ramp, if you can still access it or Port Gawler turnabout.You got it Pescados, should I have suggested the North or Eastern bank of the stretch opposite the Sub base, no need to go much further than Pelican Point, especially if the wind is blowing. If it is windy you can also shelter in behind the Northern most Breakwater opposite the Container wharf, but, the further out to sea you go the more weed seems to amass amongst the worms, makes for hard work.Finatic

Yep!! I went out on the Saturday night. Was very slow going, really didnt see many until 10:30pm ish and even then they were few and far between. One other bloke who we met up with,went Friday and by the end of Sat,said Fri was the better of the nights. The Pros had been out the nights prior too but really dont know other than what I was told. It was nothing like it was a few years back when we went last and absolutely cleaned up. Thunda_Chucka and myself scored a grand total of 20 worms, so July it is lol. :woohoo:

• 4 weeks later...

NOTE: DATE CHANGE Saturday 25th July thats tommorrow, also Sunday nightBE THERE IF YOU DAREGive a rats about the showdown, probably be a draw anyway.The worms will be a waiting.I should expect to see plenty from 8pm onwards.Landbased dab netters may want to try Outer Harbour ramp, if you can still access it or Port Gawler turnabout.Boaties, the North or Eastern bank of the stretch opposite the Sub base, no need to go much further than Pelican Point, especially if the wind is blowing.If it is windy you can also shelter in behind the Northern most Breakwater opposite the Container wharf, but, the further out to sea you go the more weed seems to amass amongst the worms, makes for hard work.Oh, I did forget to mention, "I FISH" this Sunday Channel 10 1pm & Season 3.5 dvd set will be out next week, be quick.Cheers & BeersFinatic

Found this elsewhere:First we went over to the Cutting and did some Dabbing, got 40 Garfish, then went to the St Kilda side and noticed about 10 boats near the end of the channel, as we came out of the cutting the Bloodworms were starting to run and it was only about 8:15 pm.We headed south toward Garden Island and eventually drifted back with the tide to where all the other boats were dancing around each other.The worms started to come thick and fast after 9 pm and finished about 10:30 pm or so.Lastnight was only the 2nd night after the New Moon so things can only get better.All up we bagged 40 bags.Thought as much, Karma for me.Finatic

I went landbased and failed, My spottie wasn't working so i left it home went out with a dolphin torch instead. A helpfull fisho that was just watching the boats go out helped me out as he had a spottie and spotted for me. Plus the wind wasn't strong enough, the net was good though at 6m. Didn't try the boat ramp though. Ended up with a dozen yay! :(

Carps it'd be lights. Talking with Tako yesterday he said that one got done for no starboard light and another no mast (white) light. Why anyone would need that white light with so much candlepower angled in the water is anyones guess. I mean u'd surely see the spotties long before you noticed the mast light :unsure: So if anyone is contemplating heading out I would suggest you ensure all is upto standard or expect to be fined.

well there ya go i thought it must have been something out of the ordinary as surely you would check ya lights before heading out necesary or not they are there for a reason especialy on a new moon when ya cant see bugger all out there :unsure::unsure: i know i sound like an old prude but hey thats just me i dont like fines B)

I went out last Saturday night 25-7-09 and there were plenty of worms around. This was even with more boats being out on the water than usual due to the run falling on the weekend. I did hear there was a marinesafety blitz earlier on in the night but by the time we got to St Kilda 9.00pm we saw no sign of them.Finished worming by about 11.45pmThey should be running again tonight Posted Image