Barbel style Fly Eyes

Been looking about and asking for these eyes for many moons and happened to find myself in "Fisherman's Paradise" Saturday.picked up some nickel plated beautys, quite heavy for distance casting, RED outers and black centres, cant wait to try 'em outIncidentally, I was shocked to find his pet Cod in the tank behind the counter was being fed on some redfin which wouldn't have looked bad on my dinner plate with a few chips around 'em

hey tony could have ordered those on the fly tying club order pity it never took off, ay, u know all that negitivity. Anyhow you never let me know you were after em got some spares at home they do get those flies down quicker than bead chain especially heavily dress flies, just make sure u don't hit the rod on the forward cast. Just had a thought u have plans to make spincasting flies don't cha? hum. Del i think your a member of SAFWAA now? next meeting put your name down for my fly casting lessons coming up in the next couple of months will only be 5 places be early.

Hey Del: been Fly fishing since I was 18, I'll let you do the sums ;) And yes,you're dead right on the redfin tack as I wanted these for thier weight so I could finesse them on my "Raider" for...... what's the name of that fish again? ;) Got a post on here somewhere, from my earlier days with the Forum, on the Fly fishing Board. Got some awesome feedback from the boys :P Problem "solvered" now I reckon B)

grubb wrote:

Tony, it's cheaper to buy the bead chain in Bunnings and cut it in to dumbell eyes.Cheers, Dave.

Yes Dave, I've got miles of tap chain (well maybe only half a mile or so!)But it just doesn't have the weight to flick on the finesse gear. Suppose I could always tie a bit of soldering wire in but it wouldn't be near as sexy as these li'l puppys mate. Might put a piccy up, hope they don't sell out in the rush to get 'em :woohoo:

Nice to know there are some local ones around tony,but I already have heaps on hand.. :P Bunnings was great for silver bead-chain, and you get heaps from a metre length..Nice for small minnow-type Bream flies..

Posted Image

And last order from the US I grabbed some packs of RealEyes in the smallest size, 4 colours..Plus flouro pink and chartruse bead-chain for a try..All you can fit in a US post envelope for US$11 shipping.

Posted Image

I just find it easier to shop on the computer (when it works) than driving all over town now.
projoe wrote:

hey tony could have ordered those on the fly tying club order pity it never took off, ay, u know all that negitivity. .

We gotta have another long chat Joe, we have five pages of interest shown on your original post, all positive and 509 viewings :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: I actually had guys at this months General Meeting asking when it's going forward. You've tapped into an aspect of our sport which guys would love to explore given a bit of leadership B) Can we, can we, can we.........!!

I buy the eyes in sticker form, all colours and sizes,I then stick them to either beadchain or lead eyes with a drop or two of epoxy.Make your own........ The epoxy gives that bubbled appearance. Pretty spiffy Flies look great, dont know that it gets the fish going any better than std eyes but. :)

Highfly wrote:

I buy the eyes in sticker form, all colours and sizes,I then stick them to either beadchain or lead eyes with a drop or two of epoxy.Make your own........ The epoxy gives that bubbled appearance. Pretty spiffy Flies look great, dont know that it gets the fish going any better than std eyes but. :)

Great tip highfly, have you got a source for them mate?

I havent purchased any materials for some time so, unfortunately I cant remember where I bought them from.The majority of my purchases back then where from Alpine Angler, I found them excellent. Their catalogue is a worthwhile investment, even if you dont buy anything its a simple way of obtaining all the jargon and model numbers of everything. I did get a lot of stuff and well looked after by Keith at Fishermans Paradise. Especially when he closed the original store. Best place to go when you need to hold it before making a decision. One American site worth checking out is "cabelas" I have brought individual stuff over from the US delivered to my front door WAY BELOW prices local. Even small stuff like new materials, threads..... I bought a box of over 20 different coloured threads delivered from the US for what 2/3 threads would cost here. Evern dubbing wax and "gink" was cheaper delivered from the US than bought here. They have materials on this site way before anyone in Australia has them.Expensive stuff is no comparison.I bought my 3# loomis with an alloy reel, Scientific angler GPX line, and a pair of polaroids delivered to my front door. For less than the cost of just the same rod from a store local. When you check out cabelas make sure you look in their bargain cave, Great for normal fishin gear and hunting equip too. One thing you need to be careful of is that del. to Australia was 25% of order value. Just be aware in some cases somne items are priced out this way.