Nothing Changed at Pt Hughes

Hey guys.We have just got back from Pt Hughes yesterday, and just wanted to let all of you know that the Pt Hughes council have neglected the boat ramp again.It seems every year they wait until boats are literally stuck and they receive complaints before dredging the channel to gain access to the gulf.Not only is it bloody frustrating to have to wait hours for the tide to raise enough to get out, but what happens if a storm blows in on a low tide and the sandbar is blocking access to the ramp. Surely they do not want families crossing a sandbar with swell breaking over it. I would think they could even be held liable for it, as you pay $5 each time you want to use the boat ramp.Ask the caravan park proprietors, the general store owners and the tackle shop employees, and they will tell you of the many people complaining about the state of the boat ramp, and the lengths paople have to go to to get the Pt Hughes council to dredge the channel.Some photos showing exposed sand in the middle of the marina exit, and the general state of the ramp.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I'm not making excuses but it has been that way since the breakwaters were built. My dad got dragged out of the council offices because he was so against them building the breakwaters. The only time you couldn't use the ramp at port hughes befor the breakwaters was in a strong north wind. Maybe like 10-15 days a year. Now there is a lot more days than that were you get stuck going in or out.

I am planning to head down there the week before christmas, and am planning to take the boat. It has a fairly deep hull (bertram 20fter) and seeing that actually makes me wonder if i should bother!!!Surely the charter operators must kick up a bit of a stink about that!!!!CheersBronzy

The council is working on the ramp today and also yesterday digging it out. We had a guy in this morning that said he still hit the sand bar last night. Hopefully today thay may clear it. You will still have to take a great deal of care when using the ramp as they always end up with lumps & bumps everywhere as they are only using a digger to clear it. Wallaroo boat ramp is always a far better option if you value your boat. There were a lot of people on the weekend that used Wallaroo and were staying at Port Hughes.

and some say the rock walls are a great idea.whyalla beach USED to be sand all the way alone, but when they built the marina ( which is excallant all weather launch and retrive) it also changed the wave action one the forshore.gone is the sand up around the caravan park, and is now just pebbles.the sandbar out near the blue line is getting bigger and bigger yearly.buut it can also work in the opposite way.lucky bay had the same thing happen to their beach, with the sand moving nth,and leaving the shacks up the wrong end with pebbles as well.then they built a marina and dock for the ferry that does the lucky bay/ wallaroo trip, and the sand is starting to head BACK sth, with the good ened of the shacks now starting to lose sand.havnt been for several years, but went about 5mths ago to pick up a broken down bro in law when his car broke.spent the night, and had a fish in his stejcraft boat the next day.you can SEE the erosion, and its getting bad.at some places there is a 3ft drop from the sand being eaten away.he can no longer launch from the beach in his 4wd, and has to use his tractor for that now ( which costs him 5 ltrs of petrol to launch and retrieve...and he only goes 50mtrs there and back...its an OLD tractor).

but then the money, raised from boat ramp fees and the $50 fee when you register your boat, would go towards something useful instead of being used in other areas of the community that are not fishing based.I think, if the money comes from fishing and boating, then it should be used for fishing and boating.

fishnfreak wrote:

but then the money, raised from boat ramp fees and the $50 fee when you register your boat, would go towards something useful instead of being used in other areas of the community that are not fishing based.I think, if the money comes from fishing and boating, then it should be used for fishing and boating.

totally agree with that...have karma.same deal with roads and traffic fines.
fishnfreak wrote:

good to hear, and thanks fo the karma.But dont talk to me about speeding fines, unfortunately i received a very expense letter from SAPOL this week

hahaha do the crime pay the fine.ive been fine free for 24 years.... i quickly worked out, the money was better in my pocket than theirs.